Chapter 21

I hope that you like this chapter! I just finished my school exams, so I will be able to update this much more regularly. :) Please comment and stuff so that I can dedicate my chapters to my loyal readers! :D Picture of Dahlia and Tamarak on the side! :D

Chapter 21

                Dahlia touched his arm. “Are you still with me?” she asked. “Hello, Troy? Come back to Planet Earth!”

                Troy jerked back to reality, forcing his thoughts away from Helen. He glanced at Dahlia quickly and then he realized that she had spoken.

                “Uh... Right, sorry,” he said.

                Glancing around, he noticed that Sapphire, Tamarak and Kayla had found a booth and had sat down. Grabbing Dahlia’s elbow, he pointed towards the booth.

                “Come on,” he told her.

                By the time Dahlia and Troy reached the booth, Cedric, Luna and Hunter had already joined them. They joined Kayla and Hunter on one end of the booth and sat down. Sapphire, Tamarak, Cedric and Luna sat on the other side.

                “Thank goodness this isn’t a really outrageous pub,” Sapphire said, reaching for the menu. “We can actually order some food!”

                The others, with the exception of Kayla again, laughed at Sapphire’s funny comment. They grinned at one another.

                “I’m going to get something to drink though,” Hunter said, glancing at the bar. “Are you guys coming?”

                “How about we eat something solid first, then start on the drinks?” Tamarak suggested.

                “Drinking would not be a good idea-” Luna began.

                Hunter interrupted her. “Well, then I’m having sausages and chips. What are you guys having?”

                They all ordered their food and drinks, Cokes for everyone except for Kayla and Luna. The food arrived pretty fast and they began eating.

                Troy gulped. The food was rather bland and tasteless, but it wasn’t that bad. At least he wasn’t being starved or anything. Food was food; the only difference was whether the taste was good or not.

                “Well,” Hunter said after he had finished his meal. “I’m having my drink. Do you want anything?” he asked the others.

               Kayla shook her head. “Not unless the bar has got wine from the 1940s,” she said.

               “They do, actually,” a man from the neighbouring booth said.

              “Oh,” Kayla began but the Hunter grabbed her arm.

              “Then you’re having that drink,” he said, grinning. “Are you lot coming?”

               Sapphire and Tamarak agreed while Cedric pondered what Hunter had been saying. Both  Sapphire and Tam were eighteen but Cedric was only sixteen.

               “You aren’t going to be a fool and drink alcohol, are you, Cedric?” Luna said, frowning at him.

               “Well...” Cedric began.

               “You’re how old?” Hunter said. “Eighteen? Come and have a drink!”

               “Actually, I’m only sixteen,” Cedric said.

               “I would have thought that you were older,” Sapphire said with a grin. “You don’t look sixteen. Anyway, who cares? We’re already in trouble with the police.”

              Cedric grinned. He got up to join the older magicians and Luna scoffed in exasperation. She turned to look at Troy and Dahlia.

              “Well, all I can say is I sure won’t envy them tomorrow morning,” she said.

               Both Troy and Dahlia grinned.

              “I bet they’re going to have extreme hangovers,” Dahlia said, sipping her Coke.

             Troy grinned too. “Hey, Luna, so do you know why Dr.Fang could talk and Venus can’t? Is it something like magic like I asked to begin with?”

             Luna smirked. “It’s obvious, isn’t it?” she said. “Dr.Fang was a half-an-half monster. So some part of him was human. We are animals.”

           “Oh,” Troy said, again feeling stupid.

            He began tracing swirls in the condensation water around his can of Coke. Dahlia picked at her fries that she hadn’t finished.

              “Luna, do you remember when you told us that your silver eyes are the price to pay for your strong gift?” she said, cautiously.

               Luna nodded, stirring her purified water with her straw.

             “Well, no one else seems to have a price,” Dahlia pointed out. “I know that you said that I don’t have a price and my so-called one is beauty, but what about Troy or Kayla?”

             Luna nibbled her bottom lip. “I don’t really know. That’s what Cedric always told me, that my silver eyes are a price. Maybe I’m an albino,” she suggested.

             Troy and Dahlia exchanged smiles again.

             “Somehow I never considered magicians being albinos,” Troy said.

             Luna glanced around. “Keep your voices down,” she implored. “Mortals mustn’t know magic exists. Things would be very complicated if they did.”

             “Why?” Troy and Dahlia asked in unison.

              Luna looked astonished at their question. “Because mortals would then want magic solutions to their problems.”

             “Oh,” Troy and Dahlia repeated.

              It felt awkward to have a six-year-old to correct them. Dahlia glanced around, trying to avoid Luna’s eyes.

            Sapphire and Tamarak were slow dancing together; Kayla was sipping methodically at a glass of wine. Cedric and Hunter were having a drinking competition to see who could drink more.

             Troy followed her gaze. “They’re being stupid,” he said, grinning.

            Dahlia smiled back but something had been preying on her mind for a while. She ran a hand slowly through her curly blonde hair, wishing that she knew the truth.

            Finally, the question burst out of her. “Troy, is my dad really a Magician of Earth and is on Varmer’s side?”

             Troy glanced helplessly at Luna but for once, the Magician of Air was no help.

             “I’m going to the bathroom,” Luna said, vaguely.

              She slid off the seat and left Dahlia alone with Troy. He had to answer a stupid question which had made Dahlia mad at him before.