Chapter 15

And here is the fifteenth chapter! Please don't be cross if I still haven't dedicated a chapter to you and you are a loyal reader of my book. I promise that I will dedicate one to you. Please vote and comment as usual. :) Picture of Dahlia's father, Philip McLean on the side. :)

Chapter 15

                He had a vivid dream. He dreamt about one day when he, Dahlia, Helen and Olive were at Towerhall Academy and had had no idea about magic or Varmer or that he had come from a castle.

                Troy truly believed that their innocence had been a blessing. Well, his, Dahlia’s and Helen’s innocence. Olive had known all along what was happening and who they really were.

                None of the rest of them had known. Troy himself had been completely oblivious to all the magic. Olive had wanted them to enjoy their ignorance while they could.

                Despite all the fighting and the constant running, Troy felt that he wouldn’t give up all that had happened over the past few days.

                He knew that Dahlia would probably want to give it all up. Even though she called him obtuse, he sensed that she would willingly be as normal as she could. All the magic, all their elemental powers just made her more different than she would ever want to be.

                Now that he was reliving his dream, he wondered how he never had guessed what Dr.Fang really was.

                Troy jerked awake, sweating feverishly. Cedric and Dahlia were on guard duty and they were watching the area outside with their weapons drawn. Tamarak snored lightly next to him.

                “What time is it?” he whispered, trying not to disturb Tam.

                Dahlia and Cedric jumped. They pivoted around and raised their weapons before they realized that it was him.

                “Three o’clock in the morning,” Dahlia whispered back.

                Troy pulled himself out of the sleeping bag and suddenly realized how cold it was. Apparently the sleeping bags preserved their body heat.

                “One of you should sleep,” he said, crawling over to them. “I can’t sleep anymore.”

                His eyes met Dahlia’s and he instantly knew that she understood. He had had nightmares. About Helen. Again.

                “Go to bed, Dahlia,” Cedric offered. “I’ll watch with Troy.”

                Dahlia shook her head. “Nope. You’ve watched longer than I have. You replaced Luna and then about two hours after that, I took over for Tamarak.”

                “I’m not tired,” Cedric protested.

                “Then tell us about Kayla,” Troy said. “You mentioned that she hates relationships. Why?”

                Cedric sighed and made some space for Troy to sit near the mouth of the cave. Running a hand through his curly dark hair, he spoke.

                “Haven’t you guessed by now?” Cedric asked.

                Troy shook his head.

                “Even after being captured and going to Varmer’s castle and seeing all the guard members?” Cedric asked incredulously.