Chapter 8

Hi, everyone! This is chapter 8! I apologize if I have not yet dedicated a chapter to you if you are my loyal reader but please still identify yourselves to me! I promise that I will dedicate on to you as the story progresses! ;) Picture of Troy, Sapphire and Tamarak on the side. :)

Chapter 8

          Troy jumped in shock. Everyone else backed up in terror. All of them reached for their weapons as fast as they could.

               Despite their efforts, Valentine Adonis was much faster. The wind that he had summoned to float cut sideways and swept them all off their feet. Troy flew backwards and smashed into a wall. Dust trickled down from the ceiling.

            Valentine laughed cruelly. "So once more, you have failed, Sapphire. We who have grown accustomed to other magicians can sense changes but we don't know where exactly. When you risked a jaunt outside, I saw you, Tamarak and you, Cedric. I made the air meld around you and saw your outlines."

                "Thanks for letting us know your secrets," Tamarak said, sarcastically.

         Sapphire got slowly to her feet and mobbed silently towards the door that led to their bedrooms. She reached the door.

               But when she touched the door handle, the wind around them rose into a hurricane.

             The tornado swept all of them into a dizzy circle, churning the ceiling and walls into rubble. Bright morning sunlight bathed the underground room.

                "ARGH!" Troy yelled, swinging his sword wildly.

             He saw a flash of black and silver: Tamarak and Luna were trying to stop the tornado. He glimpsed Sapphire reaching for the bronze bowl which he had seen earlier. And then Dahlia careened into him, sending them both out of the tornado's grasp.

             They crashed to the floor, at Valentine Adonis's feet. He raised one hand and Troy felt a heavy wave of lethargy sweeping over him.

                He blinked hard, determined not to succumb to his tiredness. Despite his efforts, his eyes slowly drooped and then closed.

                 "Troy, snap out of it!" Dahlia fumed, snapping her fingers under his nose.

               The tornado died down but one by one, the magicians fell asleep. Cedric collapsed first, then Tamarak fell too. Valentine waggled his fingers. Another wave of lethargy swept over them all, almost washing them off their feet.

                 Troy fell to the spell and then Luna curled up on the floor. Only Dahlia, Sapphire and Kayla remained standing.

                 Kayla raised her spear, but another cloud of tiredness smote them all. Kayla and Sapphire collapsed, leaving Dahlia struggling to keep herself awake.

            Valentine raised his hand again. Another bout of tiredness hit Dahlia, so strong that the pedestrians who were gazing open-mouthed at the fight, also started snoring.

                 Dahlia forced her willpower to stay strong.

                 "What's wrong with you?" Valentine Adonis demanded angrily. "Go to sleep already!"

                 Dahlia smiled sweetly at him. "Why don't you go to sleep? You must be tired after sending so many people into unconsciousness."