Chapter 1-Meeting Graham

"I'm waking up; I feel it in my bones.
Enough to make my systems blow.
Welcome to the new age, to the new age
Whoa, oh, oh, oh, oh, whoa, oh, oh, oh, I'm radioactive, radioactive." 

I turn off the radio and park my car in the FBI lot. My father, Jack Crawford, heads the Behavioral Sciences Unit at the FBI. He allows me to follow him for the whole day because his work is essential to writing my thesis on criminal behavior and psychology. As I walk in, I see many FBI trainees running around the building for their exercise, doing push-ups, and climbing up on ropes. I enter the building, placing my bag through the check-in, and the security guards wave the Hand-Held Security Wand around me. As I gather my things, I head to the elevators to my father's office. A piano version of 'Think of Me' from Phantom of the Opera is playing in the elevator. I'm glad they didn't look for a piano version of the CSI theme song. The elevator stops on the third floor, and I head to the end of the hall. I open my father's office and wait in his chair. I look at the case that my father is working on. They already have a name for him:  The Minnesota Shrike. It's so interesting that the FBI comes up with these nicknames. I looked up to see if my father was in the hallway, but nothing. 

I continue reading the case files. "There were eight victims in eight months. All of the victims were taken from different campuses. All victims are equally matching in eye color, hair color, and height-" 

"Elizabeth." I drop the papers on the desk and stand up. 

My father was standing there in the archway of his office, carrying more files, and there was someone behind him. He looks like he's 5'11, with blue eyes with a grayish pigment and dark brown hair. He was also wearing thin dark-framed glasses and looked over at me briefly before turning away. 

"Elizabeth, you know how I feel about you reading my cases." I place the papers back in the file and say, "I'm sorry, Dad. I guess I just wanted to read ahead."

 My father chuckles and says, "That's how you graduated from high school and college early." He then raises his arms to hug me. "Will, this is my brilliant daughter, Elizabeth Crawford. Elizabeth, this is Will Graham. He'll be helping us with this case that I'm working on." 

I extend my hand for Will to shake it, and he takes it. He has a firm handshake and refuses to address me with eye contact. I don't plan on asking him why he has that tick. 

"Elizabeth is an accomplished young lady

"Elizabeth is an accomplished young lady." My father interrupts. "She graduated high school at 16 years old as Salutatorian and finished college just a few months ago as a Manga Cum Laude. She was immediately accepted into the MA program for Forensic and Legal Psychology at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia. Yes, my little girl who used to psychoanalyze Barbie dolls for fun is about to make her way into the world." 

My father gladly gleamed as he stroked my red hair. I smirk a little. I wouldn't say I like to brag because I don't see myself as a genius. I still look forward to watching Modern Family and reading Harry Potter in my spare time. 

"We're going to be leaving soon. Elizabeth, you can follow in your car, and I'll take Will with me. You'll get to meet the whole team later." Dad gathered his papers, and Will and I followed behind him. 

Will didn't say anything to me as we walked to the elevator and out of the headquarters. As I'm heading to the car, Dad whispers something to me. 

"I texted you something. Read it, and don't ask many questions when we arrive at the hospital." I look at him and say nothing. I went to the car and waited for Dad and Will to drive away. I look at my phone and the text read, 

"Liz, we are going to the hospital to visit Abigail Hobbs. She had woke up from her coma yesterday, and we have to interview her again. Will is compassionate about the subject. Don't ask him anything about her, and you will also meet two more people that can help you with your career choice. Drive safe, and I love you.-Dad."

I then input the address and drive away. Abigail Hobbs is the daughter of Garrett Jacob Hobbs, the Minnesota Shrike. Many people believe that she was involved in his crimes, but none of my business. I'm not an expert yet, and I can't pass judgment on her. I'm not God, either. 

20 Minutes Later

I arrive at the hospital and follow Will and Dad. We come into the girl's room when I see two other people there. 

"Elizabeth, this is Dr. Alana Bloom. Alana, this is my daughter, Elizabeth Crawford."

 I shake her hand; I hear a deep voice with an accent next to Dr. Bloom.

"Elizabeth, my name is Dr. Hannibal Lecter. It's wonderful to meet you." Hannibal says to me.

Dr. Lecter walks over to me and shakes my hand. 

"It's wonderful to meet you as well," I reply. 

Dr. Lecter smiles softly as he continues to look at me. Even as he moved to the other side of the room, he couldn't take his eyes off me. I stepped away and took out a notepad from my purse to observe how Dr. Bloom conducted Abigail's interview. I sneaked a peek at Hannibal; he was still staring at me. I never had a man of his stature look at me with such intent. I was flattered but scared as well. I ignored his gaze and continued with my notes.