S02E14 | michaela

SEASON TWO, EPISODE FOURTEEN

MICHAELA

SASHA

          SASHA WASN'T A FAN OF JOURNALISTS.

          After what happened to her, she saw her name be dragged through the mud, even by so-called 'professionals'. Somehow, she had become the assailant, the bad person, the one to blame for her trauma, and she couldn't quite forgive the people who had treated her that way. It wasn't something one got over in a blink of an eye.

          So, when Isabella said a journalist wanted to write an article on them, a female-lead show choir group who was repeatedly beating the odds and killing their competition in the championship, she was skeptical. Who was to say that journalist hadn't been one of those who had harassed her and her family? Who was to say they were one of the good ones, if there was even such a thing?

          "It's Michaela Tate-Calloway," Isabella had said, like that explained anything. "The woman has a Pulitzer and a massive audience, so you guys better impress her. It'll be a great look for us if we can get some praise in the media."

          Sasha knew who Michaela Tate-Calloway was, even if vaguely. She was a New York-based journalist, having worked for the Union Daily magazine before moving to the much more prestigious, feminist Serotinal magazine. While still working for Union Daily, she had co-written an interview featuring her then former fiancé, novelist Lincoln Calloway, and Sasha sympathized with her whenever she thought how hard it must have been. It had certainly sparked up some old feelings there, as they had since gotten back together, gotten married, and had a baby daughter.

          All things considered, Michaela was cool.

          Her Pulitzer prize had been awarded to her thanks to an article she had written for the New York Times about the #MeToo movement, and she was a fierce supporter of women. Even during the PR scandal involving Lincoln and Beverly Kean-Bernard, an actress, she had remained calm and poised, refusing to pit women against each other. She'd gone to marches, protests, and publicly spoken about sexism in the workplace and her own experiences with sexual harassment.