S01E20 | sectionals

SEASON ONE, EPISODE TWENTY

SECTIONALS

          GWEN'S PALMS WERE HORRIBLY SWEATY

          Everything that could go wrong was going wrong, at least in her head, and nothing was working out the way she'd planned. As if having to sing a duet with Tommy Santos wasn't bad enough in the first place, she had spent the entire week rehearsing the number with him, along with the group number, and she felt like her sanity was slowly slipping away.

          Against her better judgment, she had started keeping up with show choir blogs, just to keep track of her competition, but that proved to be less helpful than she had assumed. Different blogs favored different groups, with college blogs supporting the household names, but all of them were spreading the most recent gossip.

          Namely: they were all contributing to A.J. being outed against her will and strengthening her decision to quit the Twilight Tone. Fortunately, most of them didn't seem to be tone-deaf to the point of taking pleasure from her misery and were criticizing whoever had leaked that photo and the information, offering their support, but still felt obligated to report on the news. After all, she was now part of the show choir world, so, in their minds, it felt like the right thing to do.

          Gwen would beg to differ. A.J. still hadn't said a word to any of them, refusing to even look at them while the culprit didn't step forward, and her social media accounts were completely silent. She hadn't unfollowed everyone and deleted all her posts a la Taylor Swift during the reputation era, but Gwen thought her silence was worse than that.

          Nevertheless, Gwen still knew A.J.'s decision was final and she was never coming back, even though it pained a lot of people to admit it and to come to terms with it. She'd been the one to revive it and she was paying for it—costumes, transportation—out of her own pocket, so moving on without her felt bittersweet, but it's what they had to do in order to keep the club going.

          Sectionals were being held at Juilliard, because of course they were. Rows and rows of plush chairs filled the massive auditorium of the Alice Tully Hall. Gwen felt minuscule inside it, firmly holding the straps of her backpack, and looked around her, taking in the stage and the curvature of the ceiling. The acoustics were incredible, but she expected that much from something right in the middle of Broadway.