S01E14 | beatlemania

SEASON ONE, EPISODE FOURTEEN

BEATLEMANIA

GWEN

          THERE WAS A STRANGE ENERGY IN THE AIR.

          Gwen knew she should have gotten used to that a long time ago, as it had been a while since the first official meeting of the Twilight Tone, but something about it felt different somehow. She found it odd that the weeks were being split into two different assignments, as though Isabella was trying to cram as much musical knowledge as possible in the short time they had left until Sectionals at the end of the month, simply because the pairings didn't make any sense to her.

          The present week had been split into soundtracks (which had ultimately resulted in quite an emotional performance from Sasha and a group performance of I'll Be There From You, where everyone pretended to be friends and in it together, even though everyone knew that wasn't true) and songs by The Beatles. Gwen, a devout fan of the Liverpool foursome, thought it was disrespectful to not give that particular assignment a full week; if the problem was how they had little to no time to prepare for the competition, then maybe they could complete that assignment after Sectionals.

          Either way, she hadn't voiced any of those thoughts out loud. She knew just how well Isabella and A.J. took suggestions—spoiler alert: they hated them—and, besides, it wasn't like anyone cared that much about what she had to say.

          She knew she had to shut up, suck it up, and put up with whatever she had to do. It wasn't like they were practicing for Sectionals anyway, seeing as they still didn't have a setlist (again) and still hadn't chosen who would be singing the solo and the duet (again) or who would be getting solos during the group number (again). It was pure chaos during every single meeting and Gwen wished she had the courage to say anything.

          To make things worse, she knew she wasn't the only person who wasn't satisfied with the current state of the club. The problem was that no one was willing to say that to Isabella, let alone to A.J..