S01E04 | auditions

SEASON ONE, EPISODE FOUR

AUDITIONS

ISABELLA

          ISABELLA SUAREZ WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SHE HAD JUST GOTTEN HERSELF INTO.

          When she decided to accept that teaching position at her old university, the one who had taught her mostly everything she knew about performing arts, the last thing she expected would happen was to be asked to coach the show choir club—a club that had been disbanded back when she was still a student and a member of said club.

          Truth be told, the last thing she expected would happen there was to get hit by a meteorite, which still hadn't happened, but she knew she shouldn't get her hopes up. NYSPA was known for constantly defying the odds and the freaking laws of the universe, so she knew that stupid meteorite crashing into the campus was nothing but an inevitability.

          A.J. Fleetwood had made a surprisingly convincing argument in front of the Dean on Thursday, complete with a PowerPoint presentation and testimonies from old club members, including those who had been in the old club at the same time as Isabella herself. She didn't know how A.J. had prepared the entire thing in such a short amount of time or how she had gotten those testimonies without setting a foot outside the campus, but the odds worked in her favor.

          The universe sure had a funny way of working.

          Even though he was slightly reluctant to do so, the Dean granted them permission to revive the club under very specific conditions: they'd have to contribute to the funding instead of having the university pay for everything, and they'd have to do everything they could to win Nationals, as that was the only way the club would survive the following year. They were supposed to raise winners, not losers, and second or third place were simply not good enough; everything below that was an utter disaster.

          Isabella thought she and A.J. would get along just fine. After all, one of them knew how the club worked and the other had just come back from Broadway, meaning she knew exactly how to give a crowd and a bunch of judges an outstanding performance.