S02E15 | working title

SEASON TWO, EPISODE FIFTEEN

WORKING TITLE

BRODY

          BRODY DID NOT HAVE A CRUSH, DAMN IT. Had he known people would tease him about it, he would have kept his mouth shut about the goddamn book. It's not even about Lincoln being a man—so is Jesse—but the nagging was becoming a little bit too much, as though those people had never picked up a book before.

          His management had always reminded him he needed to be relatable. Even if he wasn't, he could fake it, as long as it worked. It would help him retain his popularity, which, in turn, would lead to more streams and album sales, even if the band had disbanded a long time ago. Though he'd always be thankful for their time together, it was time to move on, since holding on to the past wasn't doing them any good. He wanted a solo career, anyway, and he needed to step out of the band's shadow.

          Michaela, the journalist they were supposed to impress in order to get a stellar review, had laughed when he quoted the final line of the book her husband had written about her. 

          She'd laughed and probably thought he was relatable, so his job there was done. If only his management had witnessed any of it . . . but they'd hear about it when the piece got published. He'd just have to let them know he had been tasked with giving Michaela a tour of campus—even if not by himself, even if he had barely gotten a chance to say anything, with A.J. being in charge of most of it—and then maybe they wouldn't twist their mouths in distaste when he pitched the idea of recording a solo album.

          It would be a win-win for everyone. He'd go back to making music, his favorite thing in the world, and they'd still be able to capitalize off him. As arrogant as it sounded, it was his name he usually heard the crowd scream when the band was performing. That was part of why they split up—they felt it would be best to pursue solo careers instead of resenting each other's individual success—and they couldn't exactly kick their vocalist out of the band. Even after burning out, they still had each other's backs.