S02E17 | stage fright

SEASON TWO, EPISODE SEVENTEEN

STAGE FRIGHT

A.J.

          IF YOU DON'T GET HELP, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE.

          Well, then. Someone ought to do it for her if they thought it was that easy, right?

          A.J. couldn't remember the last time she'd gone without her hands shaking. She didn't have to use her hands too much, and the times she did, they worked just fine, such as writing her notes during lectures or having to hold something. However, there were times when she couldn't even hold a mug of tea or something heavier than a small dog without her arms faltering and trembling like jello.

          She couldn't even channel her frustration into rehearsals, aware there was always someone watching her.

          It was frankly distracting, as she had to focus on what she was doing—singing, dancing, harmonizing—and on being so damn perfect at everything she was doing no one would get to suspect there was something wrong. She was used to being watched, with years of theater experience and then Broadway, but these were her peers. They were more than normal NYSPA students to her at this point, and all traces of competitiveness should be directed towards the competition, not each other.

          They had been paired up to practice a group dance routine, so it was harder for her to be noticed in the middle of the chaos that was the choir room. As long as she didn't screw up, she'd slip past the radar.

          Her dance partner was Levi, who was probably one of the few people in the club she felt completely comfortable with; the others either couldn't pick her up because she was taller than them—Sasha, Miyu, Diana—or were already partnered up with someone else, like T.J., who wouldn't dance with anyone but Diana. The positions of each member during the actual performance would be different, as they were still trying to nail each step, but A.J. could use her influence to make Levi stand by her and continue being her partner.