S01E10 | invitationals

SEASON ONE, EPISODE TEN

INVITATIONALS

SASHA

          SASHA WAS NOT PLEASED WITH THE RECENT EVENTS.

          A.J. sat across from her, curled in an armchair and looking almost as miserable as she would if someone had either a) kicked a puppy in front of her or b) forbade any Broadway revivals from happening. Those were the only roles she was seemingly interested in—right now, she wouldn't shut up about a hypothetical upcoming Wicked revival and how Elphaba was her ultimate dream role, so she just had to audition.

          Either way, Sasha thought she was overreacting. Even if she wasn't particularly excited about being forced to work with her, since they'd both been subjected to the torture of singing a duet together for Invitationals, she still thought she was being overly dramatic. It went way, way beyond a Taylor Swift sing-off in the middle of the cafeteria on the first day of the semester—there was a lot more at stake, and they needed to be at the top of their game if they wanted The Twilight Tone to succeed.

          Sasha had to admit it left a bittersweet taste in her mouth. On one hand—and regardless of how much she hated to admit it—A.J. was one of the most talented performers in the group, so they didn't have to work that hard to wow the judges. On the other, she had also purposefully thrown the competition just so she wouldn't land the solo, which she was so confident would happen, and to give the freshmen a chance.

          In Sasha's opinion, there was a time and place for everything, and show choir competitions weren't the right place to be noble. She wanted to win just as anyone else and, even though she believed Billie really was insanely talented, she wasn't certain if she wanted to deposit so much trust in a freshman—in a freshman who had tanked their first NYSPA audition, even.

          Therefore, she tried her hardest to trust A.J., which was a lot easier said than done, to be perfectly honest.

          Trusting A.J.'s talent was easy. Objectively, she was good, one of the best, and, as long as she put in proper effort into the duet, it would be a breeze. The problem was trusting her, as Sasha couldn't shake off how she had willingly dumbed herself musically, wasting her voice in bubblegum pop songs instead of belting out the notes she loved, just to prove a point. Besides, the A.J. she knew would rather die than lose a competition or to miss out on a chance to show off.