S01E12 | guilty pleasures

SEASON ONE, EPISODE TWELVE

GUILTY PLEASURES

MIYU

          NO ONE SAID ANYTHING.

          No one moved.

          Hell, Miyu was pretty certain that, out of the three people standing inside that dorm room, not even a single one was breathing.

          A.J., standing next to her, was as stiff as an iron bar, eyes glued to the screen of Angelina's phone. Miyu assumed she was waiting for Angelina to tell her once and for all whether they had made it through to the next stage of the competition, but she hadn't even opened the page. All she had done was open the Committee website, where a post had just been published, announcing that the list was up and thanking everyone for participating.

          She could stand there and lie to everyone, including to herself, by saying the club meant as much to her as it did to other members, even to A.J.. Even though Miyu wasn't that invested in it, she definitely saw the appeal, not to mention everything A.J. had already invested on it—time, energy, money—and it would be a true shame if all of it ended up being in vain.

          A.J. could complain about the club all she wanted, argue it was a waste of resources, and that it had always been a horrible, stupid idea, but Miyu could see—and knew—just how much fun she actually had. If there was anything in the world A.J. loved more than anything else, it was performing. With weekly assignments, they had objective goals that had to be met each week while practicing for the next round of the show choir competition.

          Even if she loathed working with a team, it wasn't that different from what she had been doing with her Broadway friends. It was fun, it was liberating, but there was still a lot of stuff at stake.

          Miyu knew their performance during Invitationals had been good. She just didn't know whether it had been good enough for them to even be considered for Sectionals, especially considering who they were competing against.