Chapter 14

Tugging off an olive green dress that looked like something an old lady would wear I complained, “We have hit about five stores and can’t find anything, can I go home yet?” Sam and Natalie both shook their heads while breezing through rack after rack of clothes. Groaning I closed the door to the dressing room until about ten more dresses were handed to me over the door.

            The ones that had frills on them immediately went back out the door thrown at Natalie’s head while I grudgingly tried on the other seven. The first one had a sash that pinched my waist uncomfortably, one was too short for my liking while another was way too long, the fourth was designed for a princess like Crystal, the next had about a billion sequins, the sixth was too plain, and then the last one just didn’t look good with my hair.

            Changing back into my ratty shirt and soft worn out jeans, I carried the pile of dresses back out to hang up saying, “I can’t find anything in here either.” Sam and Natalie both slumped down but soon perked back up when they showed me the dresses they found for themselves while I was having my personal meltdown.

            Sam’s dress was a leafy green color that matched her skin and eyes perfectly. There was a belt that went around her waist to make it skin tight and show off her curves, the dress ended about a foot from the ground and had a dipping neckline.

            Natalie’s dress was a pale purple that would look great with her hair. From the waist up the dress was pretty ordinary while the rest of the dress was ruffles falling to the floor. Her dress naturally fit to the curves of her body and she even found silver matching shoes for it; the lucky little hellion.

            Sighing in defeat I trailed behind them slowly as they paid and then we were back on main street window shopping. It only took them another minute until they found the sixth store to shove me into. The second I entered a deep perfume of rose petals wafted into my nose making me want to gag.

            “Oh my these dresses are lovely,” Natalie breathed touching the fabric of the closest dress to her. The shop owner immediately perked up and took the other two down a few more aisles while I browsed for myself. God damn it, I don’t even want to go to the stupid dance so why can’t I just pick up any old dress and go?

            Before I could turn my brain off the answer popped up flashing like a neon sign behind my eyelids. The entire reason why I was going to the dance in a few weeks was because I wanted to dance with Nick and was still secretly hoping that he would ask me to go with him. I’m starting to blame my interest in the dick head on my hormones because there is no way in hell that I would ever naturally fall for a guy like him.

            My friends seemed a little busy nodding at everything the store owner was saying, so I walked down a different aisle searching for something by myself. I needed something that would scream sexy but not too sophisticated. A dress that would help me mop the floor with Crystal on the night of the dance and claim me the winner of our little competition.

            I needed a dress that would make me look desirable.

            Boy did I want to wipe that smug look off of Crystals face when she lost.

            When I came back to reality (I was having a fantasy of winning the dress competition) I found myself in the back of the store where a few different pink dresses were hanging. Wrinkling my nose in disgust I was about to turn around when a flash of pale pink caught my eye in the corner almost completely hidden by the dress next to it. Making sure no one was looking I walked over to it and pulled out the dress.