Chapter 11

“Attention all students, report to-!” a voice was screaming in my ear. I leapt out of bed as startled as a rabbit at the same time Sam woke up with a scream and leapt out of bed trying to wiggle out of her pajama pants. I watched confused as she started rummaging frantically through her closet muttering to herself the entire time. What the hell is going on here?

            “Josey get dressed or we are going to be late,” she exclaimed throwing my blue long sleeve shirt and black ripped up vest at my head. I had just enough time to catch those and then my black jeans that followed right behind them. Instead of arguing with her since Sam looked slightly crazed I just wiggled into my jeans and shirt and just finished zipping up my vest halfway when she grabbed my hand and started sprinting down the halls.

            “I’m sorry Sam but what the hell is going on?”

            “It’s Parent’s Day! We don’t want to leave them…” she slowly stopped running and then looked back at me while I blinked slowly at her. My parents weren’t going to show up and she just figured that out. Wow I could still be sleeping now if it wasn’t for her.

            Letting go of my hand she said, “I’m so sorry I wasn’t thinking it’s just everyone comes to Parent’s Day, the thought just never occurred to me.” She was looking so forlorn for a moment until her face brightened and she asked, “Hey want to come meet my mom? I’m sure she wouldn’t mind if you tagged along for the day in fact she would encourage it.”

            Finding out that I actually was curious to meet Sam’s mom I nodded and we both continued running until we reached the front court yard where the gates were wide open allowing grown-ups to wander in. Pulling us to the side of the crowd Sam stood on her tip toes looking around, “Nope not here yet, she usually is one of the last ones to show up anyway since she hates crowds. That and I’m sure she forgets until the last second every year.”

            We stood searching for a while (I was just looking for an older version of Sam) when we heard laughing behind us. Glancing over my shoulder I saw Crystal smiling smugly at me sporting her new short hair pixie cut, blegh princess. I turned back around just in time to hear her whisper, “No wonder her parents left her in the streets, I mean I would have had an abortion the second I found out I was pregnant with her.”

            Looking out of the corner of my eye I saw that she was standing with two sneering adults who could only be her mom and dad. Turning to Sam with a smirk I said loudly, “So Sam how many times do you think Crystal got pregnant? I heard Ashley say around twenty when they were talking about pills.”

            There was a choking sound and then I felt nails pierce my shoulder as Crystal stood behind me heaving like a bull; sure acted like one. Shrugging my shoulder I looked back at her asking an innocent, “May I help you?”

            “You think you are all that but you want to know what your real issue is Josey? You have no parents who love you, you were stuck living by yourself in an orphanage all your life. You think you can just walk in here and steal my rightful place. Well life doesn’t work that way; you were born in a crappy life so that is all you deserve!”

            Blinking my eyes at her livid face I looked past her shoulder to see her parents nodding in approval. Wow and they say bitchiness isn’t a genetic trait. Sam was spluttering outraged next to me, I heard Natalie and Tim pushing through the crowd to come help me out, but what surprised me the most was when I felt a warm hand land gently on my shoulder as Nick walked up behind me glaring at his ex-girlfriend.

            The entire crowd around us got super quiet as the three of us stood there glaring at each other. Opening his mouth slightly Nick whispered quietly, “You know what Crystal you are the biggest bitch I have ever met in my entire life. Just looking at you makes me want to claw out my eyes and rip out my hair because you are so annoying and your smirk just makes me want to punch the living day lights out of you.”