Chapter 12

English class today decided not to start well when Ms. Robin stood up and announced that the school dance is coming up and the decorating committee has been decided.

            “First off not everyone got in that signed up,” Ms. Robin said sending a knowing look out to us in case we would start flipping out, as if, “Your president is going to be Crystal Tilla, and vice president will be Ashley Folk, any questions?”

            Leaning over I whispered to Sam, “I feel bad for everyone else in that committee then if those two are in charge.” She giggled and I leaned back into my chair taking a long gulp of grape water.

            “Head of decorations is Josey Willow.”

            Cue spit take all over my desk.

            Wiping water off of my desk I raised my hand exclaiming, “Ms. Robin you got it all wrong, I didn’t even sign up for this thing, how the heck did I get into it?”

            Handing me tissues to clean up the rest of my desk she replied, “Well Ms. Hersh thought it would be a great idea if you were in charge of decorations because you are so good at art, come on Josey it will be fun.” Shuffling through her papers she looked up giving me a stern look and added, “And you can’t back out or you’ll get three weeks of detention.”

            Wow, that is hard core. Groaning I slid down into my seat while Sam shot me a sympathetic look taking a gulp of my water. Next thing you know I hear, “Next in the committee is Sam Born.” Before I could react Sam repeated my process, had a spit take and then started complaining.

            Throwing her hands up in the air Ms. Robin exclaimed, “Oh come on people it’s good to help out in school! You cannot back out no matter what so both of you stop complaining, and no one drink anymore until I am done with this list!” Sam and I both slid down in our seats sending death glares up at Crystal who was smiling smugly at Ashley as they whispered about something; that bitch is so up to something.

            The other kids that were in the committee were of course of bunch of preppy girls and the boys that somehow got dragged into it looked about as pleased as me and Sam. The only plus side to this entire thing was when Tim’s name was called and he fell off his chair in surprise causing me and Sam to giggle hysterically; and then have to duck when he chucked his literature book at us.

            Crystal stood up and announced, “Okay decorating committee, since we have a lot of work to do we should get started right away, everyone move out to the auditorium!” Ms. Robin opened her mouth to complain but we all quickly ran out of the room laughing quietly as the fifteen of us slowly made our way down the hall to the empty auditorium.

            We all lounged in empty seats as Crystal took imaginary roll call (she was just trying to take up as much time as we could possibly manage). After a few minutes she announced, “Okay we need a theme for our dance, any suggestions?”

            “How about a winter theme with lots of pretty snow?”

            “Oh, we should do a Cinderella theme so all the girls have an excuse to wear gowns!”

            “Ooo, I like that one we should-!”

            Raising my hand I stated, “Okay that idea is stupid we should all just dress up however we want to, let’s have a little competition, the girl wearing the best dress by the end of the night is the winner. For decorations we will have Cinderella meets her prince in a winter wonderland, the courtyard in the back can be done up too, any objections?”