Chapter 6

“I still can’t believe you have your own car,” Natalie stated from the backseat and I smiled to her in the rearview mirror. “No seriously,” she continued leaning up in between me and Sam, “How do you even have your license? You are sixteen right?” That got Sam to look up in realization and look over at me too.

            Tightening my grip on the wheel I stopped at the red light and said, “Uh yeah, it was another gift from the orphanage when I left, a girl needs a car to go places right?”

            “Yeah but you shouldn’t have a seniors license right?”

            Now that Sam mentioned it she was right; how did I have my senior license? Shrugging my shoulders I pulled into a parking spot that was ironically next to the museum. Hopping out squinting my eyes in the sun I said, “So why are we in town? I mean we can find something to do back at school if we put our minds to it.” While the other two were blinking at the light I stole a glance at my license and saw that it said I was nineteen, sweet.

            Messing around with her camera Sam replied, “Oh yeah let’s get started on next semesters homework and get a tutor.”

            “Oh shut the hell up.”

            Linking arms with the two of us Natalie said, “Oh come on guys let’s be friends here. We are here to shop around the town Josey since you don’t really know where anything is.” Yes I did, they just didn’t know I snuck out of the building pretty much every night hunting down fellow assassins and thieves. The second the little boutiques came into view Natalie pulled me into one that sold cute little dresses. “Here’s my favorite store, Little Sunny,” Natalie stated twirling around in a circle.

            Fingering the pink lacy dress right next to me I said dryly, “I have lost all respect for you Nat; this is just throw up in a form.” Instead of answering me the two of them pulled me to the back of the store where a bunch of punk rock dresses with rips, chains, and zippers all over them were hanging; oh hell yeah.

            Completely ignoring the other two I walked around the racks looking at everything with wide eyes until I found a cute black dress with blue rips and chains all over it; this would so look cool with my blue jeans. I glanced at the price tag and saw that it was on sale although in all honesty it didn’t matter to me; the care packages I got included hundreds of dollars in ever one; best job ever.

            “How does this look,” I asked holding it up against myself and twirling in a circle. Sam and Natalie whistled in appreciation clapping their hands and giving me two thumbs up. When Sam couldn’t find anything and Natalie found way too many dresses and couldn’t pick, we moved on to the shop next to it which turned out to be the shoe store in the state; Shocking Shoes. Pushing the door open I asked, “Where do they get the names for these things?”

            Holding up a pair of red vans Sam replied, “I don’t know but I agree with you, they can be so much better.” We started coming up with a bunch of different names the store could have as we walked around until I found rainbow colored convers that were calling my name. “Wow those are so cute,” Sam exclaimed and then looked at the price tag, “Oh wait Josey, they’re over a hundred dollars.”

            “Oh your right, that’s too bad,” I said and put them back. Mental note; come back later some other day and buy them, if they ask questions I’ll just say I got them at a thrift store. Looking longingly one last time at my dream shoes (seriously they would go with anything) I followed the other two back outside and saw the huge fountain in the middle of a flower courtyard. “Oh what is that,” I breathed as we walked across the street heading that way.