Chapter 27

My hands were trembling as I pressed them against the hole in Adam’s chest, the one that I put there to kill him without realizing who it was. His blue eyes gazed up at me already a little glassy as I tried to stop the bleeding. Taking a shaky breath I whispered, “Why?”

            He inhaled and I could hear his lungs filling up with blood and fluids; I whimpered because I couldn’t do anything for that. I crawled behind him kneeling before I gently placed his head on my lap and started stroking his hair, it was pretty much all I could do for him now.

            “I h-had to,” came his sudden reply as he looked up at me with a small smile. He lifted a hand and I took it watching his thumb run circles on my palm like he was trying to comfort me.

            Rubbing tears out of my eyes with my free hand I said, “No you didn’t have to, you told me that the organization helped us. Why would you suddenly decide to try and hack into the main computer for information? You had to have known that they were going to catch you eventually.”

            Adam’s chest rose up and down slowly as he tried to take in air through his damaged lungs; the sound was horrifying and made me want to throw up. When it seemed like he had enough air he told me, “Of course I knew they were going to catch me eventually, and trust me I wasn’t happy when I saw that they sent you to try and find me.” He broke off coughing and I watched in alarm as a little blood came out mixed with some of his spit.

            I stared at the wound on his chest that bled out a little more every time his heart tried to give a little beat. Reaching my free hand forward I pressed it against the wound again trying to make the entire blood stop draining out of my best friend. “Josey,” Adam whispered and I stared back into his blue eyes, “Don’t be upset, I’m glad that it happened this way.” His smile got a little wider and he let go of my hand to reach up and cup my cheek; I grabbed onto it and held it there sniffing.

            He took a deeper breath and continued, “You can’t be sad Josey, one of us was going to die the second you go your last mission, and we just didn’t know when that was going to happen,” pause, another breath, “In all honesty I’m happy that I’m the one dying and not the other way around. You made such great friends here from the stories you would text me and I would have felt horrible if I ripped you away from the first chance at a real life that you ever had.”

            Suddenly his whole face transformed and it seemed to me as beautiful as the first time I saw him smile at me back in New York; full of warmth and kindness. Smiling so his one dimple peeked out in the corner of his mouth Adam told me, “Just remember Josey that everything happens for a reason so don’t try to change that. I always loved you like the little sister I never got to see growing up.” The last words left his mouth right as the light suddenly vanished from his eyes forever.

            “Adam,” I whimpered stroking my thumbs along his cheeks, when I got no reply I said louder, “Adam, please don’t die on me, you can’t.” Placing a trembling hand to his neck I searched for any sign of a pulse and found nothing at all; Adam was dead.

            Even when death came and swooped him away, Adam still had his gorgeous smile on his face like he was happy to be gone, but why couldn’t he have taken me with him? I couldn’t stand his empty blue eyes staring at me so I gently closed them and sat back on my heels looking around myself.

            Blood was all over the clearing, a mixture of mine and Adam’s, looking like fire against the snow. Staring down at my hands I saw that they too had both of our blood on them, like some sick promise that we would always be together forever.