Chapter 2

Sam and I wandered out of our room then and into the kitchen to scavenge for food since we both didn’t feel like facing the rest of the school at the moment. We just decided to cook spaghetti for ourselves when I finally got to meet Crystal and Ashley; and boy was Sam right about those two.

            I didn’t like them at all.

            Crystal had bright auburn hair straightened to perfection with nails that looked like claws and brown eyes that narrowed when they took one look at me. Her clothes were all probably bought every week and when she was through with them, sent to the garbage so no one can ever get a hold of her perfect DNA.

            Ashley on the other hand was Crystal’s lap dog with an outfit that just matched Crystal’s but wasn’t exactly the same. Her blonde hair looked dyed and was also straightened; she even had the same manicure as Crystal.

            “Oh you must be the new weirdo I get to pick on,” Crystal sneered at me while I calmly poured noodles into the boiling water. When I didn’t reply or even acknowledge her Crystal snorted in disgust and said, “Oh let me guess, just a poor little girl with nothing to her name sent here from scavenged money just to get her out of the house. I hate your kind, you always think you can do whatever you want and there are never consequences.” A second later she screamed in fear as a knife I hid inside my sleeve went flying past her head and into the wall.

            Shaking with anger and the restraint not to pull her head off I stated dryly, “If I was you I would leave me alone or something ugly might happen.” With one last terrified glance at me, Crystal and Ashley ran out of the room. Smirking I turned back around to find Sam staring at me with wide eyes; shit there goes my chance at making a friend here.

            Taking the noodles off the stove she asked, “What the hell was that?”

            “Um, she was annoying me and I wanted her to understand that when you pick on me something bad might happen.”

            “So what, if I was to annoy you a lot you would murder me in my sleep?”

            “What? No of course not! I like you, I just hate their kind.”

            Not looking me in the eye Sam stated, “Oh look at the time I have to get back to class,” and quickly scampered out of the room. Fuck. Groaning in frustration I walked across the room and pulled my knife out of the dry wall quickly placing it back in my sleeve. I had to move a poster to cover the hole I left in the wall.

            I wasn’t hungry anymore so I shoved the pot into the refrigerator in case Sam wanted some later on for dinner. Looking around the empty rooms I picked up my cell phone, backpack, house key, and hitting speed dial, walked out the door to explore.

            Adam picked up after the first two rings, “Okay Josey school can’t be so bad that you’re calling me now, what happened?”

            Examining a piece of armor hanging at the end of the hall I complained, “No of course not it’s about ten times worse. For starters I nearly just killed two of my roommates because they were being absolute bitches. And then my other roommate is now too scared of me to even look me in the eye. And the food here sucks.”

            “Is that all?”

            “No, I think I’m lost too,” I replied turning around trying to figure out which hallway my room was in. Sighing in defeat I just kept walking while Adam’s laugh rang in my ear. I couldn’t help but smile so I said, “Well thank you so much for being sympathetic. What’s going on with my assignment?”