Chapter 5

“Why are you so tired,” Natalie asked me in Chemistry as I yawned again. I just shrugged as an answer and she turned around as Mr. McDowell continued on our lecture of chemical reactions; boring. I am so sorry but by the time I got home it was three in the morning and I didn’t get to sleep until an hour later since I had to type in my field report to Adam (who was laughing his head off at my pissed off attitude).

            Resting my head on my arms I blinked tiredly at the bored as the world started to slowly fade away. A second later my chair jerked forward and I sat up completely wide awake now. Glaring I turned around to see Nicholas smirking at me broadly; actually everyone was staring at me. Rubbing my eyes I said, “I’m so sorry Mr. McDowell what was the question?”

            Smiling kindly at me he said, “Its fine Josey, I don’t even want to be here either, so let’s have another free period. Only this time no one try to paint their skin.” Everyone burst out laughing while Crystal looked down blushing, or that could be the faint pink that was still on her face but was slowly fading.

            Getting a tray of multicolored chemicals Sam sat down next to me and asked, “Hey can you do something else really cool?” Natalie nodded excitedly and they watched me start mixing things together. As I took a moment to think Sam asked, “Where did you learn all of this stuff? I mean you can take down a bunch of boys easily, land a sixteen foot drop like its nothing, are a perfect knife thrower, and even are a perfect chemisty-ist thingy.”

            Laughing I shook up the beaker I was working on and said, “I have a lot of free time and go on the internet a lot.” They both shrugged although I really doubted any of them believed me. A second later Timmy popped up asking if he could join us so I said, “Sure but you might want to stand back when I’m done with this.”

            Everyone took a few wary steps back as I poured in the last of the compounds with a smile. Winking at Crystal who looked wicked scared I took the lid off the beaker and took a small step back to watch.

            Beautiful bubbles every shade of the rainbow erupted from the beaker and started floating around the room over everyone’s heads. “Wow that is amazing,” Tim said but I covered his mouth making a shushing gesture. A second later all the bubbles burst sending a wave of sparks scattering across the ceiling before everything disappeared. In the silence that followed someone said, “Wicked,” and everyone burst out clapping and cheering.

            Clapping along with the rest of the class Mr. McDowell called out, “Who made that astounding chemical compound, and it was beyond anything I have ever seen before!” I casually looked around at the faces looking in my direction but no one ratted me out until…

            “Oh it was Josey Willow, Mr. McDowell,” Nicholas spoke up and I sent him my deadliest glare while he smirked back. The bell rang at that moment and before our teacher could call me back I quickly ran ahead of everyone and sent Nick tumbling into a wall as I pushed past him. Laughing at his cursing in my direction I went up to my room and sat waiting for Sam and Natalie to catch up while I messed around in the kitchen looking for something to eat.

            By the time the two of them walked into the room laughing about who knows what I already had a few pancakes cooking along with a huge platter of bacon and scrambled eggs. “Mm, what’s the occasion,” Natalie asked taking a seat at the kitchen table watching me cook.

            “Um, I missed breakfast and am craving pancakes? There should never have to be an occasion to make someone breakfast for lunch, it is an American tradition.”