Chapter 21

Ms. Robin jumped around the front of the class looking all giddy and happy; how the hell is she so happy this early in the morning? “Okay class,” she practically shouted hopping through the aisles like a five year old, “We’re going to go over the fieldtrip rules for our annual camp out this year!”

            I probably had the blankest face in the history of the world because Tim leaned over and whispered, “Every year around now we go on a field trip to the Adirondacks in New York and learn about all of this nature stuff; it’s kind of nice to get away from the building for a few days.” I mumbled thanks to him under my breath smiling, excellent I get to get away from hell for a few days, this was going to be so much fun then.

            A few desks over Crystal piped up and started whining, “I don’t see why this field trip isn’t optional, I could be spending this time doing something more exciting than that; like an all week shopping spree. Who wants to go out into the middle of the woods looking at trees?” Just to spite her and come to Ms. Robin’s defense I raised my hand and all of my other friends in the class followed suit. Crystal glared at me and secretly flipped me the bird while I just smiled innocently back; I heard Nick laughing under his breath behind me.

            Shooting me a grateful look, Ms. Robin continued, “You see Crystal your class mates are eager to go; and it now counts as half of your grade if you don’t go. If you do go this doesn’t affect you at all.” We all snickered at Crystal’s look of horror before she slumped down dejectedly in her seat. All of her little clones glared at everyone on my side of the room before they started patting her back and telling her not to worry about it.

            Instead of telling us the rules, Ms. Robin just handed out a paper with them all and proceeded to make my day when she told Crystal, “I want you to memorize all of these and tell me them by tomorrow when we are on the bus, this now counts as a tenth of your grade, and you can write me an apology while you are at it.” Under our desks Sam and I high fived grinning like maniacs while Crystal looked like she was about to either start crying or hit Ms. Robin over the head with her two hundred dollar purse.

            In Chemistry our teacher gave us another free period and Sam and Natalie went off with Tim to work on making small explosions for extra credit. Reading labels I looked up when I heard a chair squeak and saw that Nick was sitting across from me with a huge smile on his face like he had just won the lottery. “What’s up,” I asked picking up an empty bleaker and placing it in between us; out of the corner of my eye I saw Mr. McDowell staring at me expectantly waiting to see what I would make. He still hasn’t given up on trying recruiting me for this chemistry competition thing or whatever.

            “Oh nothing, I just wanted to see you make these amazing creations up close,” was his reply watching my hands shift through the chemicals until I found what I was looking for. I mixed the first two chemicals together and watched them fizz a little before the entire thing turned into solid ice. Nick’s eyes got wide as I picked up another one and poured that in, the ice then turned back into a bright shade of sky blue, just the color of Nick’s eyes before it started releasing a small smoke into the air that smelled like grapes.

            Watching as I made the chemicals create different shades of smoke Nick asked, “How the hell do you do that? If I tried I would probably blow the entire school up while you know exactly what to do.” I shrugged my shoulders, and deciding I was bored with smoke, I made the chemicals starts shooting rainbow colored sparks into the air showering back down on us giving us small shocks. From my right I heard the teacher whistle in appreciation and then saw him scribble something down on a pad of paper.

            I made a small geyser then, a bright emerald liquid that squirted itself up into the air without any help. When Nick caught a rogue drop it pooled into his palm like quicksilver before evaporating into thin air along with the rest of the mixture from the beaker. “Any requests,” I asked shaking up a vial and spilling that into the beaker as a new base.