Chapter 24

I woke up the next morning with the biggest headache ever feeling like I was about to hurl. “Ugh, I think I ate too much ice cream and pizza last night,” I groaned rolling over onto my stomach, I heard Natalie and Sam both mutter agreements as the three of us tried to get over our sugar hangovers.

            There was a loud rap on the door and Ms. Robin called, “Girls get up the bus is leaving in an hour and a half. Get everything together and meet down in the lobby in an hour.” Why would she wake us up now if we could be getting another hour of sleep? Grumbling under my breath I sat up blinking at the bright light coming in through the window.

            Rolling over on my side I moaned, “You heard the warden, up and at em.” The other two both groaned and slowly got sat up rubbing their foreheads. Looking at their blood shot eyes I snorted, “Gods, if we look like this after having too much sugar imagine what it would be like if we had a real hangover.” Laughing the other two got up and Natalie went to take a shower while Sam and I made the beds and got dressed. Since we both still were feeling a little sick we got dressed into simple jeans, sweatshirts, and sneakers to be comfortable.

            The hour passed quickly as the three of us got our stuff together then slowly made our way down to the lobby taking the stairs to wake up. Since we took the long way we were about ten minutes late and Ms. Robin was waiting for us with a pissed off expression on her face. Rolling my eyes at her back we followed her to the bus and hopped on making our way to our seats. When I passed Vanessa she gave me a small smile which I returned hesitantly. Even though she did help me big time I didn’t know if I should trust her yet or not.

            Nick smiled at me as I plopped into the seat next to him, “How did you sleep?”

            I yawned and ran my fingers through my hair making it stick up in a thousand different places. “Sam, Nat, and I kind of fell asleep on sugar highs and we all woke up feeling like shit,” I told him and he laughed before giving me a small box. Giving him a look I opened it and found it was full of candy; groaning I shut the box and threw it back at his face while he started cracking up. Rolling my eyes I said, “Oh ha-ha, now you’re just trying to get me sick, shame on you.”

            Nick just started eating the candy while I groaned at the sight; turning around I banged my head on the window so I wouldn’t have to watch this torture. “Ms. Willow, what do you think you are doing,” Ms. Robin called from the front of the bus; since I was still pissed at her I opted to ignore her comment and put in ear buds.

            The hours passed slowly and by the time we stopped for lunch I was about to jump out the window. The bus was stopped in a Burger King parking lot while I quietly snickered to myself; half of us kids could afford to buy out the fast food chain and yet we’re eating at a fast food joint instead of a fancy restaurant; not that I minded, I hated rich people food anyway.

            I grabbed a large fry and some chicken nuggets before making my way back outside to eat on a bench. Sure it felt like it was negative ten degrees outside but I was going to be stuck in that bus for another six hours and wanted to enjoy the fresh air while I could. Popping a fry in my mouth I started to choke when someone asked, “What the hell are you doing out here?”

            Swallowing my food I turned to find Jason glaring at me; again. Rolling my own eyes I turned back to the parking lot saying, “Well it is a free country and I like being outside instead of trapped in a building with a bunch of screaming teenagers.” I sat there waiting for him to start grilling me on the knives and everything from yesterday but minutes passed without him saying anything staring at me.