Chapter 40

"How's your day going so far?" Jax's voice comes through the speaker on my phone.

"It's been a good day for me and the class. They're looking forward to going to the gym and art after lunch," I tell him as I take a bite of my sandwich.

"And how have the little ones been treating you?" he questions.

"He or she has been good. Quiet for the most part though I did feel a little nauseous in the morning after you left for work," I answer.

"I would have stayed a little longer if you weren't feeling well," he says to me.

"I know you would, but you also have a job to get to so a little nausea isn't something to worry about," I say disagreeing.

"Fine, but anything else you have to tell me, don't hide it from me," he says compromising with me.

"Alright, anything else you'll be informed," I tell him.

"Good. Did you see your co-worker today?" he questions.

"I saw her when it was recess and she was very quick to turn in the opposite direction when she saw me," I chuckle. "You know I thought for a bit that she was the one that sent the pictures of me and Wren when we were at school back in December. When I had my first ultrasound, she said she hoped nothing bad would happen to me."

"The fuck? What makes you so sure she's not with Lorenzo? If she tries anything funny," he trails off.

"You don't have to do anything to her Jax, I'll just send Cleo," I chuckle with mirth. "I think she was just spiteful that I was in a relationship with you, we fucked, and now I'm pregnant with your kid. What she did a couple of days ago just confirmed it."

"So she was just a jealous bitch," he surmises.

"That's the gist of it. Honestly, I wonder how I never noticed her character," I muse.

"You see the good in people angel, and also not to mention she kept that side of her for outside of the school," he points out.

"Well she ousted herself and she's lucky I'm not that much of a bitch to expose her to the rest of the faculty," I say leaning back in my seat. 

"What about that guy, the one that couldn't take a hint?" he asks.

"To be honest, he hasn't bothered with me lately, but who knows, maybe he's the one that's keeping tabs on me," I reply. The bell rings, and I glance at the clock to see how time has flown by.

"I'll talk to you later Jax, I have to go get my munchkins," I tell him as I pack up my containers.

"Have a good afternoon angel, I'll see you at home later," he replies.

"Okay, love you," I casually say before freezing. Did those words just slip out of my mouth?

"Angel? Wha-" I hang up on Jax and almost slam my phone on my table. I just told Jax I loved him, over the phone. Fuck. I knew that the feeling has been there for a bit, toying at the back of my mind, but it wasn't my biggest concern at the moment. I would have told him eventually, just not now. I walk out of my classroom going down the stairs to where my class lines up.

"Students let's go," I tell them as I lead them back upstairs.

"Ms. Dawson, are we going to the gym now?" one of the girls asks me.

"Yes, but you all have to be quick with changing out of your winter clothes and into your indoor shoes," I instruct. I watch as all of them stop by their sneakers, switching their shoes before heading into class. I do a quick headcount confirming all are present before following them inside. I grab my cell phone and find one message from Jax saying we'll talk at home. I let out a quiet sigh before placing my phone in my jean pocket. I look at my class that's full of chatter before glancing at the time knowing we have to rush.