Chapter 4.1 | Conflict

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕

"Have a good day at school boys," I tell my sons when I stop the car and the both of them are rushing to get out. 

"Bye mom," the twins say in unison before slamming the door behind them making me wince. It seems I'll have to talk to them about that again, I swear these days whenever I talk to them it goes from one ear and out the other. I'd be getting out of the car too like the twins, it is a school day after all but I have other shit to take care of so I called in sick. I drive out of the school lot pulling back into the main roads as I start driving to my next destination a rush of nausea passes through me. 

"Almost two months in and of course I just had to have morning sickness again," I mutter to myself and glance down at my stomach. Jax and I decided we want another child and after stopping my birth control back in December, it did take a couple of months. Probably overthinking it and the stress from wanting to get pregnant is probably why it took a while. But now here I am in April and time is just going by. After the last time we had sex we decided to take a break and I guess it worked out for the best. 

And I'm pretty fucking excited about all this but the one thing that's crushing the excitement is that my own husband still doesn't know about this. For the last couple of weeks, Jax has been busy with work, so busy that he's been coming home late and I end up falling asleep when I try to stay up to wait for him. And yes I understand that there might be some days that he'll be doing overtime but doing overtime for three weeks is starting to frustrate me.

I even brought it up with Jason and besides him telling me that they finished working on a major case, Jax was left in charge of training the latest batch of officers. But it shouldn't take three weeks to train them unless they're super incompetent which in that case they should probably quit. And that's why I'm skipping work because I'm done with this shit. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when I hear my phone ringing.

"I didn't see you with Jayden and Justin, you're taking the day off today?" Victoria asks getting straight to the point.

"Yeah, I have some things to take care of so I called in sick," I tell her as I turn down the street to where the precinct is. 

"Your voice doesn't sound good, what's got you mad?" she asks me and I let out a light laugh.

"I'm just stopping by the precinct before going home," I answer with a fake cheerful tone.

"Uh-oh, the husband is in trouble isn't he?" she questions with understanding. "Good luck to him, kick his ass girl. I'll talk to you later," she says to me and I hear the school bell ringing in the background before she hangs up. I turn my car into the precinct's lot and turn off the engine before letting out a loud sigh. It's not like I want to bring family problems to Jax's workplace but I've just given up at this point. I get out of my car and go to the trunk, grabbing the stuffed backpack I packed this morning before closing it and locking the doors. 

I quickly walk to the front door and the blast of warm air from inside warms up my cool cheeks. I gave Jason a heads up that I was coming by today and I'd be making some trouble. The only thing he asked me was 'Are you going to do anything illegal? You're not? Okay cool, come by whenever.' That's how you know you have a great best friend when they trust you so much and don't bother asking what you need to do. 

"Charlotte?" a voice pulls me out of thought and I see Natalia looking at me in confusion. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see Jax," I tell her and she nods her head before laughing. 

"You're here to give Jax shit aren't you?" she says as she keeps laughing. "He's had it coming."

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion and she points to a woman walking towards us, a frown immediately makes its way to my face.