Chapter 41

I wake up the next morning while it's still dark out, tucked into Jax's side, my body relishing from the heat he's producing. I lie there, not quite awake yet, wondering why I woke up. As soon as I feel my stomach turn and hear a noise that isn't a growl, I'm throwing Jax's arm off me as I run to the bathroom. 

Thank goodness I make it in time as everything I ate last night is thrown up in the toilet bowl. I don't even have a moment to feel disgusted as another round of throw-up exits out of me. I feel hands on my hair, tying my short hair back into a ponytail before they move to rub my back slowly. As soon as I finish heaving what's left of me, I lean back against the cold bathtub, an instant relief against my heated skin. The taste of bile is still in my mouth and I let out a shaky breath.

"Here," Jax says as he hands me a wad of tissue and flushes the toilet.

"Thanks," I mutter, closing my eyes in exhaustion. "You don't have to be here you know, it's not a pretty sight to see."

"Don't be stubborn angel. I'm with you every step of the way during your pregnancy. After all, I also played a part in the baby-making," he says smirking at the last part.

"Oh I know, pretty sure you loved every moment of it," I tease, opening one eye to look at him.

"You know you loved it too," he retorts as he helps me stand. I shuffle over to the sink grabbing my toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Do you mind making me tea? Ginger specifically. I don't think I'm going back to sleep anytime soon," I tell him as I feel another round of nausea.

"Call me if you need anything," he says kissing my head before walking out. I spend the next couple of minutes brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash. Can't walk around with my mouth smelling, that's certainly not attractive nor is it pleasant. I grab one of Jax's hoodies, putting the hood up and tying the strings under my chin, my phone and a pair of socks before making my way downstairs. Jax takes one look at me when I enter the kitchen and just opens his arms for me silently. I snuggle in real close, relaxing to the sound of his heartbeat.

"Have I ever told you I like seeing you in my clothes," he murmurs, his voice still thick with sleep.

"You can stand to tell me more often," I reply softly as he moves to pour my tea into my mug. He carries it for me as we move to the sofa. I quietly drink my hot beverage as Jax relaxes against the armrest with his eyes closed. As soon as I finish, I place my mug on the coffee table and tap on Jax's leg to wake him up.

"Jax, move a bit," I say standing up and shifting him so he's now sitting horizontally on the sofa. I grab the blanket that was discarded from last night as I move to lie down on top of Jax. I fix the blanket over both of us as best as I can before relaxing. At this point, Jax has fallen back asleep. Thank goodness I got some comfy sofas otherwise I think we'd end up with aching backs in the morning. I take my phone out of my pocket, powering it on to see it's only half-past three in the morning.

"You just had to give me morning sickness in the middle of the night didn't you?" I murmur rubbing my bump fondly. Would this even count as morning sickness or night sickness? Is night sickness even a thing? I check a couple of emails from work, Wren's social workers for the next court date, and my schedule for my future ultrasounds. Thinking about school makes me think of what I wanted to tell Jax last night concerning Robert. I look at my phone again as an idea strikes me. I open my text messages and send a message to Rhett telling him to contact me as soon as he reads it. Not even five minutes pass when my phone starts vibrating.

"Charlotte, are you guys in any danger?" Rhett fires out.

"No, we're all safe," I say in a whisper. "Everyone is still asleep except for myself."