Chapter 5

"Do you have your seat belt buckled Wren?" I question as I glance at the rear-view mirror.

"I have my seat belt on Charlotte," he replies shooting me a thumbs-up as he looks up from my phone. I decided I'd give him my phone to keep him occupied during the drive with some games. After calming down from our tickle fest earlier, we were finally able to go along with our plans for the day which is to do shopping for Wren.

"Why are we going out?" Jax questions from the seat beside me.

"Wren needs clothes not to mention you need clothes as well. You didn't bring many clothes when you came to my place and I don't plan on going over to your old house to get Wren's things either" I answer as we hit a red light. "It's going to be a fresh start for him."

"You're paying for it?" he asks looking over at me.

"Who else would be paying for it? You just came back from you know where and Wren is a kid. Where would he have any money?" I question sarcastically. I purposely omit the fact Jax was in jail. Jax mentioned to me the day before we left the hospital that Wren never knew that he was arrested. Before he was sentenced, he was allowed to see Wren and tell him he was leaving for another city for work and it would be a while before they saw each other again. It's cute how he wanted to protect his brother from the truth.

"You might want to get out of the clouds Ms. Teacher," he says as his voice breaks my thoughts. I realize that the light is green and that cars have been honking behind me for the last couple of seconds. I press on the gas and we're driving away from the angry people behind us.

"I'll give you some money for your part of the shopping and I'll be going along with Wren," I tell him as I turn into the mall to park the car. It's convenient there's a mall only fifteen minutes from where I live and they have the usual stores I shop at.

"I'll pay you back as soon as I can get the money," he tells me as I park the car.

"You don't have to pay me back Jax," I reply as I take off my belt. I feel a hand on my chin turning my head to face him and the only look on his face is one of seriousness.

"You have a heart of gold Charlotte, understand that. To take in a kid that's not your own and a man that was just in jail, I will make sure that you're taken care of as well," he tells me solemnly. I'm left stunned at his declaration.

"Charlotte? Why are you and Jax looking at each other like that?" I hear Wren ask, his voice close to my ear. I turn my head and realize that Wren's head is sticking between the two seats and who knows how long he's been observing us. I clear my throat before turning away from Jax.

"I had an eyelash in my eye Wren. Jax was just checking to see if it was still there," I lie. Thank goodness he easily accepts my lie.

"You ready to go Wren?" Jax asks turning to look at his brother.

"Ready!" he exclaims. He hands me back my phone and opens his door hoping outside. I grab my wallet and open my side of the car. Once Jax is out, I lock the doors and take Wren's hands in mine. I crouch down to his level ready to address some things before we go inside the mall.

"Wren, we're going to have to set some rules when we go inside. I want you to either stay with your brother and me. I don't want to lose you in the mall, can you do that for me?" I ask, my tone urgent.

"I can do that Charlotte! I'm a big boy," he declares as he puffs his chest out. I hear laughing from behind me, and a hand goes over my head to ruffle Wren's hair.

"I can see you're a big man now Wren," I hear Jax tell him. I watch Wren's face break into a smile and I feel Jax's hand wrap around my arm and pull me up to stand. The next thing he does is grab Wren and lift him up to sit on his shoulders.