So Long and Goodnight

~Pete's POV~
"Stooooop." Anna laughs. I keep playing with her hair though. I can't help it.
"Not a chance." I reply. We are sitting in the backseat of my Mom's car on the way to the airport. Today is the big emotional day where we have to say our goodbyes. My mom pulls into the airport parking lot and we get out of the car. Anna and I walk far behind my Mom and Dad, so we have time to talk.
"Now when Im gone you can't replace me, okay?" I break the silence.
"I.. I would never. You're irreplaceable." She smiles and kisses me. Her forehead is really warm. I push her back and feel her forehead. Her eyes widen.
"Why are your hands so cold?" She laughs, and then starts coughing.
"Shit anna, you're sick." I say, getting a little worried.
"Last time I checked I was healthy as can be-" She says but is interrupted by another coughing fit. I study her. Her eyes are glassy and her nose is red. She must have a cold. She sneezes, as if on cue.
"Babe, are you okay? You're burning up." I ask.
"N-no I feel horrible. My stomach feels like it's going to empty its contents all over the floor." She replies with another cough. I cringe at the thought.
"Sorry." She adds. I laugh.
"I know you're sick and all but.. Im glad you came. " I say.
"Me too." She laughs, and goes to kiss me but pulls back. I frown.
"I don't wanna get you sick babe." She replied. Babe. I like when she uses that word.
"Believe me it would be worth it. I bring her warm face towards mine and kiss her deeply.
"NO PDAs!" Joe shouts, walking towards us.
Anna laughs. "Hey Jo- ACHOO!"
"Bless ya." Patrick says, joining us with Julia and Andy.
"Guys, we need to check in. Plane leaves in 2 hours!" I say.
"Calm down dude. Lets go." Andy replies and the 6 of us walk toward the main desk. Patrick does all the ticket stuff and we stand back and argue about better songs.
"The Rock Show or Jesus of Suburbia?" Anna asks.
"Why not both?" I reply.
"The Rock Show." Joe says.
"Jesus of Suburbia." Andy counters hesitantly.
"Guys come on they need your ID!" Patrick says impatiently.
All four of us show our ID and get our tickets. Looks like I have an Isle seat. I almost turn to Anna and ask what row, but realize for about the 7292726 time this month that she isn't going to be on the plane. Julia and Anna are quietly talking to each other. I see Anna mouth it'll be okay at Julia.
"Let's go to the place where we wait for an hour and are surrounded by food and souvenirs for no reason!" I try to lighten up the mood. We all go up an escalator and enter a room with about 400 seats and two large windows that give a clear view of some airplanes. I spot my parents next to Joe's, Andy's, and Patrick's. I almost forgot that they were here. Some son I am.
---1 HOUR LATER---
"Flight 206 now boarding! I repeat, anyone who is boarding flight 206, give me your tickets at gate 3 now." A lady says over the loud speaker. That's us.
My stomach starts to churn. Everyone gets up and walks over to the gate as instructed. Im standing here looking in Anna's eyes and trying not to cry. We walk to the gate.
"Bye Pete. I'll miss you so much. Don't forget to text and Skype me. I love you." She says with a sad smile.
"Bye I.. I love you too.. I won't forget you." I choke out, wishing I hadn't said the last word. I give her a huge hug and kiss her lightly.
"Bye Anna." I say one last time. I give the lady my ticket and step into the gate. I walk to the end of the passageway and turn around one last time.
I love you. She mouths. Then someone moves in front of me and when I look back, she's gone. I try not to be bothered by the fact that I didn't say I love you back and slowly climb up the steps to the plane. I walk past Joe, Patrick, Andy, and all of the parents. Everyone's seats are spread out because we booked our flight kind of late.
I sit down in row 41, and take the isle seat next to a friendly looking old lady. I turn airplane mode on, put in my headphones, and try not to think about her.
But, I fail epically. I open my camera roll and click on my photo album titled "cutie" and start scrolling through the pictures. Us at a carnival, us at the zoo, us at the mall (before we were banned.) I stop at a picture of her at the top of our tree, looking beautiful with a red scarf, a grey beanie, light skinny jeans, and a black shirt. The bright orange and yellow leaves and her warm smile make the picture absolutely perfect. The lady next to me taps me on the shoulder and says something. I yank my earbuds out.
"S-sorry what?" I say.
"I said she's beautiful. Is she your girlfriend?" The old woman says with a warm smile just like in the picture.
"Yeah, she really is." I smile back.
"You miss her." She states.
"Mhmm.. Im not going to see her for.. Awhile." I quietly reply.
"If you don't mind me asking, why not dear?" She asks.
"Well my band, were going on tour for a few months. And, since we're just in highschool, she couldn't really come with us." I explain.
"That's truly sad. But don't forget to focus on the good, either. I imagine going on a tour would be quite fun." She smiles.
"Y-yes thank you." I say. We talk for awhile, until almost everyone on the plane gets silent.
"Before I let you go back to your music- would to like the window seat dear?" She asks me.
"No, no it's yours. I don't want to take it from you." I say.
"No, please do. I would like the aisle so I can see my daughter in law and the baby." She points to a young brunette girl, who looks happy but very tired, and is holding a baby who is peacefully asleep in her arms.
"Well sure, if you want to." I say happily.
"Thank you very much dear." She says and climbs over me to switch. I slide over and unroll the curtain to reveal a pitch black sky. I didn't realize it was this late. Everyone is sleeping now, including the old woman. Who's name btw, is Charlette.
"Goodnight, Charlette." I whisper, looking out the window.
"Goodnight, Anna. I love you too." I smile and put back in my headphones.

Authors Note:
this is like a filler chapter so it's not very long, sorry. things happen next chapter so brace yourselves 😁💖
with love,
anna