chapter 14

hey guys! I'm so so so shocked and surprised by how well this story has become! I'm on the what's hot list and it's all thanks to u guys

i also wanted to say a big thanks to Kate-Dimka who has given me the confidence to write a little better!

okay go on and read the next chapter

****

My heart was stammering in my chest as I gave myself a quick last look in the mirror. I could hardly recognise myself with my hair swept of my face in an elegant side bun. I didn’t even think I had the required skill to achieve it but with a curl ironer just sitting around on my desk and a great ‘Youtube’ tutorial open on the laptop, it was possible to achieve.

“Hunny, are you ready?” I heard my dad ask from outside my door

“Yeah I’m ready.” I responded loudly, as I retrieved my clutch bag which was sitting on my bed and opened the door. My dad, who looked just about ready to end a call on his phone, just stood there, staring at me. It made my already nervous heart stammer more wildly in my chest. “What is it?” I whispered, looking down at my dress and shoes. Everything seemed to be in its right place so I was a little confused as to why my dad was staring at me like that.

“Nothing, y-you look just like your mother. It’s incredible.” He whispered longingly, but then held out his hand for me to take. I smiled widely at his outstretched hand and followed him down the stairs and out of the front door, heading towards his car.

Driving towards the reception hall where this gala event was taking place, my dad and I fell into a comfortable silence, with the radio playing in the background. Yet, I kept glancing down at my dress, wondering if it was too much, or too revealing for this event. I was so nervous. I kept thinking that when Matt takes his first glimpse of me, he will just shrug his shoulders and still look at me like I was just ‘Joe’s little sister’.

“You alright?” My dad asked as he drove inside the driveway of the reception hall. I looked out the window as I witnessed the afternoon sun shining away and then looked at my dad who was parking the car in the reserved spot with our last name embedded on the sign.

“I’m a little nervous. You know how I feel about your work parties.” I laughed awkwardly as I began to fiddle with my hands.

“Don’t worry about it. I have it under good authority that Allen Lachlan is going to be here tonight. I heard you two were working fairly well during your work experience.” My dad smiled encouragingly at me as I remembered the tall and bulky black haired guy I worked alongside with during work experience.

“Yeah, we worked great together.” I felt a small smile making its way onto my face as I recalled all the funny law jokes he would whisper to me as we sat in very serious court cases.

“Then I will help you find him so you can feel a little more comfortable.” I nodded thankfully to him as I took off my seatbelt and stepped outside the warmth that the car provided and into the cooler afternoon. Immediately, I felt and saw goose bumps appear on my arms and I shivered in response.

“Hunny, let’s get inside. It’s freezing out here.” I made a sign of agreement and headed towards the entrance of the reception hall with my dad tagging alongside me.

You would think that being to these events every year would allow me to get used to the stares and whispers from the type of people who attend these ‘parties’, but it just continued to make me more nervous. My dad, sensing my discomfort and nervousness, as we entered the reception, led me towards the side of the room, where there were chairs and tables neatly displayed in a circular arrangement.