chapter 38

Breathe in. Breathe out.

“When you’re ready...” My father trailed off, lightly tapping his pen on his desk, though the sound was murderously loud in this tiny, quiet study room.

As I waited for my heart to slow the hell down, I peeked at Matt from the corner of my eye, observing a guilty expression plastered on his face.

“We were go—“

“Sir, if you let me explain...” Matt’s deep voice interrupted, grasping both mine and my father’s attention instantly “...I would like to talk to you alone.”

I could feel my eyes widening at Matt’s request to speak to my father privately. I didn’t think he needed to bear all of this on his own. Alas, it would be easier to not sit in front of my father’s constant accusatory eyes, but I knew I was in this too. I needed to bear some of the explanation as well.

Before I knew what I was doing, I blurted out my disagreement, passion filling my voice. “Dad, I’m so, so sorry. This is all my fault. I was the one who told Matt to keep quiet and not tell you.”

“Rain!” Matt exclaimed, shaking his head a little, obviously wanting to take the blame of hiding our relationship from my father.

“No Matt. You didn’t care. You were willing to tell Joe and dad. It was me. I-I...” I couldn’t think straight. I didn’t know why I didn’t want to tell my dad. I guess a part of me was afraid that my dad was going to look at me differently. He was going to treat me differently. I didn’t know. I was just...argh!

“Honestly Sir. We were going to tell you soon. Rain was just feeling confused as to whether or not she was ready to let you know.” Matt explained, his voice levelled, like he had been practicing to say this for a while now.

“I swear we were going to tell you. I just wanted Joe’s approval first. I don’t know why but I did and I’m really sorry if I’m offending you right now but I just needed Joe’s approval first.” I was babbling. Matt knew it. I knew it. Looking at my dad, he knew it too. Gosh, I’m such a mess.

“If it’s any consolation, we haven’t done anything more than a French kiss and a bit of touchi—“

“Matt!” I exclaimed, hitting him in the chest to shut up. This was not appropriate conversation at all. We were in front of my dad for God sake.

“He probably wanted to know anyway.” Matt whispered, though it was loud enough that my dad raised his eyebrows at us, his blue eyes narrowing when he looked from Matt and I alternatively.

Oh shit!

“Sorry dad. He didn’t mean that.” I tried apologising for Matt’s idiotic remark, but a slight smirk framing Matt’s face caused the seriousness of my apology to falter a little.

“I know this is probably the worst time in history to do this to you guys, but I really need to use the bathroom.” Matt quickly looked at my father who gave him a quick short nod to leave the room, leaving my father and I alone.

Just breathe in. Breathe out.

“I suspected this would happen.” My dad spoke aimlessly, throwing me completely off guard.

“Y-you did?” I questioned, still completely confused as to how he had figured I was in a relationship.

“I figured it out when I told you to make up with your brother. Cut me some slack here.” Though the words were light, sort of comical in a sense, the way he delivered the words were dark and serious. I slumped even further in my seat.

“Oh.” I whispered, not knowing what else to say. I couldn’t believe he had known, or well, suspected that I was in a relationship this whole time.