chapter 5

heyy guys...this is another 1...thnx 4 the support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I kind of wish I listened to my dad when he told me that sitting in the proceedings was going to be boring. It’s not like the movies, where there is always something to watch out for. In reality, it’s just really posh, arrogant bustards that look like they are asleep more time than defending and or prosecuting the prosecutor or defendant, depending on which way you look at it.

I’m not always sitting in the same case as my father, but at least with his presence there, it is kind of bearable. And, everyone looks at you like they are better than you. Oh, how I wish they knew I was the judge’s daughter.

At the moment, I’m sitting in a petty case, where the defendant attempted to steal money from a local corner shop. He just turned eighteen, by the looks of it, seeing as his trial is being held in a criminal court, and he has a tattoo on the back of his neck. I knew it led elsewhere, but he was wearing a closed in black suit which stopped wandering eyes from seeing where it led.

“My client would like to say something before you make a decision.” His lawyer stated, waiting for the judge to nod her head. I liked this judge. She seemed to be a good character of judgement and made really well formed decisions.

“I am inclined to hear what Mr Cooper has to say.” She responded shortly after, which in turn, caused his lawyer to sit down. I could tell his lawyer was giving him some sort of lecture of prep talk, but it didn’t last too long. Well, at least something interesting is going to come out of this case.

“I would just like to say that if you could look at my mitigating circumstances, you could understand why I did what I did. Also, I wasn’t going to steal everything in the register, I was just going to borrow a few bucks to buy a meal to eat. Soon enough, I would have returned the cash I borrowed and left the shop.” He sat down then, saying something to his lawyer, while the judge nodded her head.

“Thank you Mr Cooper. Would everyone please leave the proceeding room whilst I converse with the lawyers and come up with a decision?” The judge asked, making everyone, including myself, stand up and walk out of the room. Well, that was an interesting case. I wonder what punishment she is going to give him.

All of a sudden, I felt my phone vibrate violently in my bag, which caused a few bystanders to look at me with disgust. Oh God! It’s just a phone. Geez, don’t have to look at me like that. I thought angrily, pushing my way past these people, and into the nearest bathroom.

I quickly found my phone and answered it without looking who was calling on the screen. “What?” I asked quietly, though, I don’t think anyone was in the bathroom right now.

“Bad time?” Joe asked sounding highly amused.

“As a matter of fact, it is. Do you know how many people gave me looks of pure hatred for having my phone on vibrate?” I asked, though I was calming down a bit.

“Well, you’re at the Courts. It’s filled with arrogant people. Listen sis, I need a favour.” Oh no. What did he do now?

“No.” I stated simply, plopping my bag on the counter, and pulling out an eyeliner to fix my eye make-up.

“But you didn’t even hear what it is yet.” I could hear him getting angry which brought a smile to my face.

“I don’t care.” I responded flatly, putting him on speaker while I continue to fix my make-up.

“You’re such a bitch...” Just then, two elderly ladies walked in and I thought I was going to die. If I thought the looks I was receiving earlier today were bad, I don’t know what these looks were. I felt so humiliated and embarrassed.