chapter 33

Chapter 33

For the past two weeks, Matt and I have purposely distanced ourselves, both afraid that the more we hang out, the angrier Joe will remain. I had no idea if it was working. Joe was still continuing to keep his distance at home and school. I hardly saw him. It was crazy how two people could live together and still live on as if the other didn’t exist.

My dad was disappointed in the two of us. He told us if we didn’t make up soon, he would leave work for a while, keeping an eye on the two of us instead. Joe and I snorted in disbelief when dad told us that over dinner a few nights ago. It was the first time that Joe had made eye contact with me in the last few weeks that have gone past. However, I couldn’t decipher what he saw in me. He probably thought I was a skank. I hope I didn’t come across as one.

Currently, Lia and I were finishing up the last of our assignment for English. We were both in the advance class, so we had to put a little bit more effort than the standard student.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m practically done.” She announced, sending out a brilliant smile my way.

“Well what are you doing smiling? Get off my bed and finish my work.” I joked, saving the word document after I finished editing my essay.

“Yeah right Rain. We both know you finished the essay a week ago. You just needed an excuse to see me.” She battered her lashes, causing both of us to laugh out loud.

A few moments later, I sighed dramatically, something which didn’t get left unnoticed by Lia. ““Crap, I’m busted.” I smiled sheepishly, though I was quite thankful that she was taking my mind off of my miserable life at the moment.

“Damn straight you’re busted.” I rolled my eyes at her lame attempt at sounding ghetto. It was ridiculously lame. “Let’s go out. I feel like celebrating.” Her eyes lit up, a twinkle sparkling within the depths of her irises.

“What the hell is there to celebrate?” I asked seriously, anger slipping through and in between my words.

“Well...” She stood up from my bed and walked towards the mirror “...we have both finished our essays and we both have issues that neither of us is willing to deal with yet. Therefore, we should go out.” She shrugged the back of her shoulders, a thoughtful expression on her face. “Hey, we should go to this new restaurant that opened up in town.” She continued, finally turning around to face me.

“I don’t think so...” I trailed, not really knowing if I was up to leaving the house. I mean, I didn’t really want Joe to think I was sneaking out or something. Yet, a tiny voice in the back of my mind was telling me that Joe was hardly around. He wouldn’t care if you went out to dinner.

“Come on.” She urged, eyes lighting up at the prospect of going out to eat, rather than making some homemade food.

“Okay fine.” I surrendered, begrudgingly getting out of my seat so I could take a quick shower. “You can freshen up in here. Borrow whatever. I’m just going to use the bathroom for a sec.” I told her, grabbing a towel from the hook and a fresh pair of undergarments. “Are we going dressy or casual?” I asked, needing to know what else to bring with me.

“I feel like dressing up.” I shook my head, wondering why I even bothered to ask. Lord knows she loves to dress up.

Taking a simple champagne coloured, skin gripping dress, I rushed to the bathroom, remembering to lock the door before settling my things on the counter.

After showering, I placed my dress on correctly, making sure the strings on the back of the dress were criss-crossed properly.

Applying the last of my make-up, I heard Lia’s voice escalate throughout the house. “Shit, what’s going on now?” I asked myself, placing the mascara on the counter and making my way towards the source of all this yelling.