Chapter 16- Roaring Sports Festival

Time passed quickly, and soon it was the first day of the festival. I roll out of bed, lazily stretching as I make my way to the kitchen.

"Ku! Do your best out there!" Her sweet smile would give any other teen reassurance.

Lose and I'll beat your ass.

Right. I'm going to leave.

"But you haven't eaten!"

I'll be fine.

"I made coffee jelly!"

Fine, I'll eat.

The crowds outside of UA reach seemingly around the whole country, the security taking no chances as the viewers enter. I teleport straight inside, not bothering with security. The thoughts of the people flood into my mind, making me dizzy for a moment.

"Hey, are you ok?" Kirishima asks, confused at my sudden appearance but unshaken, nonetheless.

Yeah, these people are just so loud.

"Huh?" Kirishima glances around the nearly empty room, then back at me. "No one's talking."

Whatever. I open my locker and slip into my gym uniform, folding my clothes and placing them on the top shelf. When I do so something small falls out, rolling past my feet.

"Hey, you dropped this!" Hairo beams, handing me a small silver ring.

Oh, it's not mine.

"Well, it came out of your locker, so you might as well keep it, right?" I blankly stare at him, trying to think of a reason to deny the ring. I can't, so I shrug and take it, placing it on my finger. My eyes widen as the constant mummers of the thousands of fans vanish, and I'm left with silence in my head.

"Woah."

"Did you just talk?" Midoriya asks, his eyes wide as he looks at me. "You never speak like that..."

Of course, he would notice.

"This ring... it blocks out the voices." I fiddle with the ring, twisting it around my finger. "Amazing."

"Does it cancel your other powers? Or just telepathy? If it just cancels telepathy, I can see why you would like it, I can't imagine being able to read everyone's mind. Which reminds me, can you control that or is it constant? And how do you have so many quirks? Do you-"

"The ring doesn't help if you're going to spew all of this at me."

"Ah!" Midoriya covers his mouth, his face quickly turning red. "S-sorry."

"Midoriya."

"Huh?" Midoriya turns his head, getting to his feet as Todoroki approaches him.

"I think it's fair to say that I'm better than you,"

"Uh, yeah." Midoriya glances at his feet, unable to look Todoroki in the eye.

"However, you've got All Might in your corner helping you out. I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two, but know that I will beat you." Todoroki glares at Midoriya, who can't help but take a step back.

"Hey now, let's be civil! We're classmates!"

"And that makes us friends. Right buddy?" Nendo throws his arm over Todoroki's shoulders, smiling at him.

"Get off me, idiot." Todoroki shoves Nendo aside, walking away from his class.

"Wait a second, Todoroki," Midoriya mutters, unsure of himself. "I don't know what's going through your head, or why you think you need to tell me that you'll beat me, and yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have way more potential than anyone in the hero course. Other than Saiki, of course. That's why you got in so easily."