Chapter 8- Midoriya's Start Line

After the match Kaido is held down by his classmates as his bandages are wrapped around his right arm, calming him. His strength weakens and he slips into unconsciousness once his bandages are fully secured.

"That took a lot out of him."

"His quirk is amazing...."

"But he'll never make it if he can't control it."

The class continues to mutter, watching as a couple robots wheel Kaido to Recovery Girl.

"It's time to move on now, class!" All Might says, drawing the attention of his students. "The next teams to be fighting will be... Team A and Team B! Team A will be the heroes! Good luck!"

The teams depart, the greenette shaking in his boots as he stares at his opponents.

"I think our best bet is to separate them and take them out that way. We have the advantage here. I'll use my ice to push them apart. We need to beat them before they have a chance to look for the weapon. They won't expect an attack so soon." Mera nods, absorbing Todoroki's plan carefully.

"I think I can handle the tail guy." She whispers, realizing that the time has started. Todoroki nods and they run off, ready to ambush their opponents.

"Soo... what's the plan?" Ojiro asks, bringing his hands behind his head as the two walk through the empty hallways. Midoriya glances at his team mate, studying him.

"Well first, I need to know what your quirk is."

"Uhh..." Ojiro waves his tail around, indicating that his quirk is nothing but a tail. Deku stares at him, expecting more. "This tail is basically another limb. It's strong, I can swing with it and stuff."

"That's it?" Midoriya mutters, worry washing over him. He brings a hand to his chin, thinking deeply. "From what I can tell the boy can create ice in an instant. He placed high yesterday so he should be our main priority. If we can't take him out we can at least distract him. I'm not really sure what the girl can do, but she didn't score very high in the assessment test so she shouldn't be too much of an issue."

"She scored higher than you..." Ojiro mutters, cutting Midoriya off. A deep red appears on the greenette's face, which he tries to hide with his arms. This, of course, does not work.

Ice suddenly appears, pushing Ojiro forward and Midoriya back. The two, caught off guard, yell in surprise as they're separated and a large wall of ice forms between them.

"Helllooo, friend!" Mera says, smiling as Ojiro is pushed toward her. He quickly uses his tail to steady himself, bouncing to his feet. "Woah, nice reflexes!" Mera sings, clapping. Ojiro stares at the girl in front of him, his hands in fists near his chest and his feet shoulder-width apart. His tail swings threateningly, warning the enemy to stay back. "Hey now, calm down! I just wanna chat!"

"Like I'd fall for that." Mera's smile disappears, being replaced with a scowl.

"Fine, you got me." She slides into a fighting stance of her own, ready to attack.

Midoriya falls onto his back, the breath being knocked out of him as he slides backward on the ice. Once it stops growing he scrambles to his feet, struggling to catch his breath. More walls of ice form, trapping Midoriya in a small room with Todoroki.

"There's nowhere to run." He declares, eyeing his opponent. Izuku turns to his foe, determination washing over him.

"Then I'll just have to fight you."

Ojiro jumps at Mera, using his tail to sweep her feet from beneath her. She tumbles forward, saving herself from a face plant by going into a somersault. Ojiro does not hesitate in attacking her again, using his extra appendage to throw her off balance once more. She rolls underneath him, bringing him to the ground as well. Mera quickly gets up, running down the hallway and away from her rival.

Is she giving up? Already?

Ojiro struggles to get onto his feet, falling behind as she runs ahead of him.

Midoriya begins to pace in a circle, Todoroki doing the same.

"No offense, but there's no way you can beat me." Midoriya clenches his fists tighter, nearly drawing blood as anger overtakes him.

"Why do you say that?"

"I watched you yesterday. You hold so much power, and yet, you can't use it. You're useless, honestly." Izuku is no longer shaking in terror, but instead, in rage.

"You don't know anything!"

"Honestly, with how you treat your quirk, you'd think you only just recently received it." The greenette finally gets enough of Todoroki's badgering, jumping at him with pure hatred in his eyes. Todoroki easily dodges the attack, chuckling to himself. "Looks like I hit a nerve."

Midoriya attacks again, reaching for Todoroki's arm to pull him down. Todoroki avoids him, using his right side to blast ice at his enemy. Midoriya is pushed backward, the ice surrounding him and encasing him in its freezing hell.

Ojiro continues to follow Mera, just barely keeping up as she turns more and more corners.

"Stop running you coward!" He yells, picking up speed as she does.

He comes to a room, far from where they were originally. Every few yards a proud pillar stands, giving one cover if needed. Mera is nowhere to be seen, but this is a dead-end, and there is nowhere else for her to run.

She has to be here... Is she using her quirk?

Ojiro quietly shuffles into the room, careful to check the few hiding places in the mostly empty room. He comes to the last pillar, holding his breath as he approaches it.

"FOOD FIGHT!"

Mera jumps from her hiding place, chucking a brick-like fruitcake at Ojiro.
"MERRY CHRISTMAS!"
It hits him in the face, knocking him out.

CHISATO MERA. HER QUIRK: FOOD!

SHE CAN CREATE ANY FOOD SHE HAS AT ONE POINT CONSUMED!

"Whoops..." Mera mutters, scratching her head nervously. "Sorry."

Todoroki steps back from his ice, nodding to himself in approval of his victory.

There's no way he's escaping that.

Todoroki yawns, waiting for All Might to give the cue that the match is over.

Maybe I should check on Mera.

He stretches his arms, choosing an icewall to melt in order to get to a hallway to wonder down until he finds his teammate. He's only a few yards in when he hears the sound of ice cracking, slowly, then exploding out of nowhere. Todoroki turns, surprised to see Midoriya before him, his left arm hanging uselessly at his side.

"I'm not going to lose that easily." He growls, limping forward. Todoroki sighs, bringing up his right hand.

"You should, though. It would be for your own good."

"Yeah, right." Midoriya stumbles forward, allowing his quirk to flow through his legs. He springs at his foe, his power boosting him forward with amazing speed. Midoriya manages to catch Todoroki off guard by his attack, barreling into him and sending them both flying backward. Shoto stops himself with ice, careful not to hit his own head. Midoriya continues to fly forward, landing face-first into the closest wall.

Midoriya, dazed, is unable to stand right away, and Todoroki takes his hesitation and uses it as an opportunity. He blasts ice at Midoriya again, using the wall to secure him into place. Midoriya shakes his head, the only body part of his not completely covered in ice, trying to shake off the spots in his gaze.

His arm and legs are broken, but he's not done yet. He uses his quirk to push out with his other arm, subsequently breaking that arm as well. He screams in agony as his adrenalin runs out and his body begins to understand the true pain he's in. The ice crumbles to the ground, but so does he, as his legs are too weak to hold his weight. He lands heavily on his side, his vision blurring.

"No, I can't stop now." He whispers, lifting his head. "I can't."

The teen struggles to move his limbs, inching forward toward Todoroki, who stands with his arms crossed.

He doesn't make it far before his head hits the ground with a quiet thump, leaving the boy unconscious.