Chapter 2- What it Takes to be a Hero

This is so stupid. What am I doing here, anyway? I sigh, staring at the obstacle course ahead of me. If I purposely fail, maybe they won't let me in.

Saiki, you better win this. I glance over to the audience, immediately spotting my parents. My mom is staring at me, her monster eyes piercing into my soul. I feel myself shudder, but quickly mask my fear with my uninterest.

Looks like I have to actually try.

He looks nice, I'll talk to him!

"Hello! What's your name?" I glance to my side, noticing a taller teen walking up to me, waving excitedly.

Saiki. I mutter, not really in the mood to talk.

"Woah, did you just say that without moving your lips? Are you a ventriloquist? That's so awesome!" The teen jumps up and down around me, closely examining me and poking at my face. "Can you teach me? Please? Pretty please?" I roll my eyes, taking a step away from him.

It's my quirk. Nothing special. The teen tilts his head, confusion flowing over him.

His quirk is... ventriloquist?

I'm a psychic.

Woah, did he just hear my thoughts? That's so weird! The teen leans in again, staring into my eyes.

"So you can read minds? So cool! But... how are you supposed to win this race?" I smirk, my competitive side shining through. I never got to show off in my last universe. Who knows, maybe this'll be fun.

You'll just have to wait and see, Yoarashi. I turn on my heel, walking away from the energetic teen.

So much passion! He's so cool!

"GATHER AROUND, GATHER AROUND! IT'S TIME TO BEGIN!" The muttering comes to a close as the crowd of kids focuses on the man in the middle of the crowd, who's frantically waving his arms for people to come closer. "WHO'S READY TO PPAAARRRTTTYYYY!" You can practically hear the crickets chirping for a moment before the awkward silence is broken by the teen from before.

"YEAH! WOO-HOO!" Everyone stares at him, but he takes no mind, clearly too excited to care.

"YEAH!"

"WOAH!" The two continue to pump each other up, which just makes the rest of us more awkward.

"THEN LET'S DO THIS! NUMBERS 12, 13, 16, 23, 31, AND 41! LINE UP!" We do as we're told, forming a line along the checkers on the ground. I stand beside a boy, number 23, who gives me an icy-hot (A/N: WINK WINK) glare.

"Don't get in my way." My mouth curves into a smirk as I stare ahead, not bothering to get down for a better starting position like everyone else. I shove my hands into my pockets, fighting the urge to laugh.

Don't worry, I won't.

"BEGIIIINNNN!" At that moment I simply teleport to the end of the race, smiling at the thoughts of my opponents.

What the hell?

Where'd he go?

Is he that fast?

SO COOL!

"KUSUO SAIKI COMES IN FIRST! WHAT A RUN!" The crowd explodes into cheers, applauding my win and cheering my name. Soon after me Yoarashi and "23" finish, Yoarashi coming in 2nd and "23" in 3rd.

How the hell did they beat me?

How can he be so coolYoarashi runs up to me, excitement radiating off him.

"You didn't tell me you could do that!" He yells, his eyes shining with pride.

He's so passionate!

"What else can you do? If you can read minds and teleport you must have something else up your sleeve!"

Oh, I can do tons of things. But, you're going to have to wait and find out what those things are. I begin to walk away, knowing that there's nothing left for me to do.

"Wait! Saiki!" I don't turn around; instead, I merely lift my hand to wave goodbye.

I'm going to be just like you one day!

Good luck with that.

My family sits down for dinner, which is steak.

"Aww, Honey! You made me steak?"

"But of course, my love!" I eat in silence while my parents cue over each other, ignoring their meal. Once mine is gone I stand up, setting my dishes in the sink.

"Ku, we need to talk to you!" My mom sings, joy illuminating off her.

Why?

"Just sit down, Son." I roll my eyes but do as I'm told, sitting down across from them.

"YOU MADE IT IN!" Mom exclaims, clapping her hands together. "My Ku, going to UA high! Can you believe it‽" The realization hits me like a sack of butter.

Honestly? No, I can't.

"Don't look so down, Son. Now you get to spend every day with me!" That realization hits me like a hummingbird to the face.

Great.