27.4 AIJA

The story so far:

----Aija, Zuri, and Ze are three friends, who were working at the Pristine School at Innermost. Aija gets involved with the Ytai first, leading Zuri and Ze to them as well. Zuri falls in love with Nala (Lalana), who is Ytai, and works with Thieron. Aija and Ze are captured by Thieron, of H'eon, when they were at the Hospital - Aija was at the Hospital with Kuna of R'ies and Zuri to stop a Harvest; Ze was there to visit his sick student Xan. Xan, a student at the Pristine School, gives up his soul to Thieron, and Xan, is subsequently released by Aija. He then settles into the body of a kitten that Aija found at the Hospital, and is taken to where Thieron resides. Aija wills Xan to talk; he can speak now with his own voice. Thieron has bound Aija to himself, and Nala has bound Ze to herself. Luka works for Thieron(Ah'n), along with Lalana (Nala). Luka found Aija first at her school, teaching the kids. He seems to care for her. Luka's feelings for Aija only seem to be increasing with time. He's worried about Thieron finding out.

----Aija and Ze go along with the three Ytai. It's a Harvest, but Thieron doesn't inform them since Aija would hinder them. 

----When Nala and Luka go away, Thieron shows them the sea -which has swallowed the land.

----A sea-savage pulls Aija into the sea when she is standing too close to the water on the walkway.

✽✽✽

****27.4 - Aija****

Aija struggled to hold her breath as something pulled her in deep into the dark water. 

She felt something like hands around her ankles and now her shoulders. She kicked at whatever it was furiously, but it was of no use as their grip tightened around her ankles. 

She couldn't see much underwater. As she struggled to get out of the firm grip, she saw a pair of glowing eyes, and it illuminated sharp fangs. It petrified her. The face of the creature was so human-like. It reminded her of the Savage in the Open. It was what Thieron was talking about. 

Fear gripped her, and it spread through her slowly. She felt a sharp pain in her right leg. She nearly screamed, and there was the glow of lightning in the water. She struggled to keep her mouth closed; to save her breath. She thought it was the end of her – that lightning. That lightning would kill her if these monsters didn't first. 

The lightning hit them – the sea monsters and her - and the sea monsters shrieked loudly. The shrill sound pierced through her senses, and she had to close her ears and eyes. 

Aija felt the prick of electricity through her, she opened her eyes, and through the light, she saw four of the monsters around her. But they had their eyes closed and mouths open. And then she saw Thieron in the water. 

The shock from the lightning never came. Aija was still okay as Thieron reached her. She let her breath go, unable to hold onto it any longer. The sea tasted salty and strong. 

She felt arms around her, and she was being pulled up. The moment she hit the air, she coughed up the water. Thieron pushed her onto the walkway, and Ze pulled her back onto it. 

"Ai! Aija!" Ze yelled. "You're safe now."

 She coughed and tried to steady herself, she was shivering from the cold. She must not have been in the water for long. But it had felt like it. The shrill screams of the sea monsters were still ringing in her ears. 

"Are you hurt anywhere?" she heard Thieron ask. 

He was kneeling next to her. 

"I don't think so," she whispered, numb with fear. 

Tears rolled down her cheeks. She was glad she dripping wet herself. They wouldn't know she was crying. Hopefully. Fear was still holding onto her. 

Thieron rubbed her back, trying to get her to calm down. 

For a single moment, when she'd been underwater, she'd thought Thieron would leave her down there to become food for the sea monsters. She was unbelievably grateful to him for saving her. 

She took in deep breaths. Ze held her as Thieron wore his shoes, and Ze was still wincing from the pain in his wrist. 

"Thanks," she whispered to Thieron. 

His eyes, now blue, held worry. The fact that he was genuinely concerned left Aija feeling perplexed and a bit awkward. 

"Are you sure you're not hurt?" he asked. "Do you feel pain anywhere?" 

She shook her head. Maybe, it was the adrenaline, but she didn't feel much pain. She removed her coat heavy from the dampness and held it across her arm. Thieron gave her his brown-grey coat. She wore it, thankful for the warmth it provided. 

"Let's go back to the car," Thieron instructed. 

Ze walked ahead, holding his right wrist in his left hand. 

Thieron helped her up, and they walked to the car. She was very vaguely aware of her hand in his. Was he really holding her hand? 

She didn't dare look at her hand. But, she was sort of aware of Thieron's touch, of his warmth. 

Her walk gradually morphed into a limp. She felt pain in her right leg near her ankle.

 "What's wrong?" Thieron asked her, his fingers gripping her firmly. 

She looked down at her right ankle. It had started to bleed. 

"I feel pain." she moaned, remembering the intense pain she'd felt underwater. 

"Where?" Thieron's voice was muffled as he held her by her shoulders. 

"Aija?" he called out. 

She was feeling dizzy. She fell to the ground. 

The last thing she saw was Thieron hovering above her, eyes blue, and wide with fear. 

"Aija!" Thieron called out.

Everything went black.

✽✽✽