16.6 ZURI

The story so far:

---- Aija is a Volunteer at the Pristine School at Innermost. She works along with Zuri and Ze, who are her friends. Aija witnesses a strange event one night – light emanating from Rez's body. The kidnapper is after her soul, next, but he leaves her alive and goes away. Another man finds her, he wants to take her somewhere else - Aija though wary of him agrees. Aija learns of the existence of the aliens – the Ytai. Also, about the R'ies and H'eon, Harvesting and Àvo from Etrie. Etrie tells her that the man, who Harvested Rez (Thieron), will now go after her. He tells her that the spy/kidnapper's name is Luka. Etrie asks her to work along with him. Aija agrees to work along with Etrie on Harvest Stopping Missions.

---- Zuri is back at her hometown. She tells Alex why it's important to do well at school - so that they can both live at Innermost and bring their parents there too. Zuri meets with her friends. She admits that she likes someone - a girl. Her friend Amyas tells her that he likes her.

---- Aija invites Zuri on a Harvest Stopping Mission. Zuri agrees to go and leaves her hometown earlier than intended. Zuri is picked up by Kuna, Etrie's partner. He tells that Etrie will erase her memories.

---- Kuna and Zuri reach the place and meet up with Aija, Etrie, and Maya. The Harvesters come and attack them. One Ytai attacks her.

---- The Harvest Stopping Mission is a success. Zuri is overwhelmed by the entire experience. 

---- Etrie agrees to let Zuri continue accompanying them on the missions, much to the chagrin of Kuna and Maya.

✽✽✽

****16.6 - Zuri****

Zuri tiptoed and knelt. 

"Nala," she whispered.

Nala seemed to be asleep.

"Nala," Zuri called out louder, and she woke up with a start.

Zuri was filled with desire as she looked into Nala's silver-brown eyes. She wanted to hold her; tell her to be hers. But she held back.

"What are you doing here?"

A faint blush crept onto her smooth brown skin as if she'd heard Zuri's thoughts.

"I came to see you. But you weren't here, so I decided to wait. I...What's wrong with your nose? Is that blood on your clothes?"

Zuri wondered if she could tell Nala what she had been up to and decided that she shouldn't. She should keep her secrets too.

"It's nothing; I'm fine now. I just fell on the train. Do you know what time it is?"

Nala looked at her Scroll on her wrist and seemed genuinely surprised as she saw that it was close to four-thirty in the morning.

"Where were you out so late?"

"Do you realize that you have no right to ask me that?" Zuri's tone was abrasive, and Nala felt it, for she looked hurt.

"Zuri?" there was confusion and hurt woven into her whisper.

"Yes, Nala." Zuri snapped. "I don't know anything about you. You go cold for days before you speak to me. You say nothing of yourself and wait for me late into the night as if going home isn't a priority. Who's your family? Who are your friends? Where do you live, Nala? What do you do? How old are you? What's your favorite color? What do you like? What don't you like? Do you know how old I am? Or what's my favorite color? Do you know what I like or don't?"

Zuri's hurt from the night spilled out onto Nala. Her frustration of not seeing her but wanting to, desperately so, translated into anger.

"What is even between us? Are we anything to each other? I want answers, Nala."

Nala looked at her, her expression indiscernible and surprised Zuri by grabbing her by her shoulders and drawing her close to herself; so close, Zuri could see the silver radiating into brown in her eyes. Zuri's heart skipped a beat as Nala placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

"There are some things I can't tell you yet," Nala whispered. "But my favorite color is the color of your eyes. I like you – terribly so. And I don't like being apart from you."

Zuri couldn't breathe from her proximity to Nala, though her words had eaten away her anger, and she instantly felt tired. All she wanted to do was learn how her lips would feel on Nala's, but she pushed herself away.

"I want more answers," she whispered.

"When the time is right, I'll tell you everything."

"Go home; go home, Nala," Zuri said, exasperated and tired.

Nala made a move to hold her, but she stood, making herself clear. Nala left and looked at Zuri once before getting into the elevator.

Zuri watched as Nala left, and went into her Apartment. She held herself for a few minutes before she broke down. The tears flowed freely, drawing her anger, frustration, and shock back forth from earlier.

The last time she had cried was when she had realized that Aija wouldn't love her back the way she loved her. But, Aija loved her as a friend. Of that, she was certain.

Did Nala?

✽✽✽