If You Need Me X

Beyoncé Knowles
Kno. Corp
Manhattan, NY

"Morning Ms Knowles."

Illogical. Abnormal. Hearing London's voice instead of hers was quite disappointing. Out of the six years that London had been apart of my company, for once, I despised her presence. It wasn't because of her - personally - but the attachment that I'd gained for Onika. I'd left her bed - in the guesthouse - this morning, spending the night because I knew that I'd have to venture to work on my own and manage the day without her. The thought had become unbearable through the night, which had led me to her bed.

"Good morning, London. Did you receive the flowers I sent for you?"

"Yes. Thank you."

"Were the arrangements handled properly?"

"Yes. You're far too kind. I promise to reimburse you for your..."

"It's nothing. Family of yours is family of mine."

London's mother's insurance had elapsed two weeks before her death. The family was scrambling to plan a decent enough funeral, reserve a plot and purchase a headstone. After she called me with her concerns, I'd had the money wired to her account, covering all expenses associated with the death of her mother. Even the repast was paid in full.

"Thanks. Ms. Knowles?" She questioned.

"Yes?"

"You've said more to me this morning than you have on any given day. I hate to pry, but may I ask you a question?"

"Ask away." I placed my purse on my desk as I took my seat.

The benefits of Onika being home included me being able to actually get work done. For the last six weeks, I'd learned what it felt like to live in the moment. Her moment. Our moment. Although I wasn't behind, I preferred to stay ahead of the game.

"Is she the reason?"

The burning of my cheeks and stretching of my lips might've answered London's question before I could. Yet, I still felt it necessary to verbally respond.

"London."

"There's a photo of you and her on your desk. She's beautiful." The sadness in her voice didn't go unnoticed.

I'd known for some time that London's was interested in me, but neither of us had acted on the attraction she possessed. My mom had mentioned - one day during casual conversation - that I'd know when I'd met the one. Even if I ignored them, the signs would be apparent from the start. As well, she'd surpass my expectations and stand out amongst other women. For me, London hadn't sparked my interest in the least. We shared a working relationship, and everything ceased after that.

"She is." I nodded, examining the photo that I had no clue of. The small sticky note attached caused me to chuckle a bit.

 The small sticky note attached caused me to chuckle a bit