31

February 4, 1995

Stevie was 40 weeks pregnant. She didn't make it this far with Eva and she was absolutely miserable. She felt huge, and she could feel him right in the middle of her pelvis. She had pretty much confined herself to the bed and she just wanted the baby out. She wanted the baby out so much to the extent that she set up a sleepover with Eva's best friend and sent her mother who had stayed in Los Angeles after Christmas to help for the last few months and after the baby would be born to the movie simply so she and Lindsey could have sex and try to induce labor. And she thought it didn't work but she was jolted awake around 2:30 and was now in a steaming hot shower an hour later at 3:30. 

She was crying with her head in the corner of the shower when she felt the door open and two hands grab her hips. 

"Baby what's wrong?" Lindsey asks.

"It worked." She cries. 

"What sex?" Lindsey asks moving his hand to right under her stomach where he could feel how hard it actually was. 

Stevie just nodded and then grabbed onto Lindsey's hand tightly and rolled her head back onto Lindsey's shoulder. 

"Whooooo.......Whoooooooo.....Whoooo.......oooh, this is worse than it was with Eva" She breathes out.

"How close?" Lindsey asks.

"Ten minutes." She replies. 

"Has your water broken?" Lindsey asks.

"No, but I lost my mucus plug. I've been contracting since 2:30" Stevie groans. 

"What's that?" Lindsey makes a face. 

"It just means my cervix is softening and changing," Stevie explains turning around in his arms.

"Alright, so this is exciting. You've been trying to get him out for weeks." Lindsey rubs her back.

"No..." She says.

"What?" He asks.

"I don't want to have him." She cries.

"Okay, now I'm confused." 

"I can't have him here. I wanted to have him here." She sobs. 

"Oh, baby. It'll be okay. Look...no one knows where we live. I drive a 1984 Chevy, I don't think the people would expect you to go to the hospital in that. Have you told anyone my last name?" Lindsey asks.

"No, but I've said that my brother-in-law is my manager so I think they could figure it out." Stevie states. 

"Listen to me...we sue. If this leaks before we want it to we sue the birthing center, we sue the paparazzi, the magazine that releases it, the TV show that releases it." Lindsey replies. 

"O-okay...but in other news...you need a new Ca-Agh.....OWWWW, FUCK!" She screams biting his shoulder, and he just kneads at her back. 

It was then that they both felt water pool around their feet that wasn't from the shower stream and Stevie's stomach visibly dropped. 

"I think we need to take you to the birthing center now." Lindsey states. 

***

They pin a little note to the door to the bathroom that Barbara's been using and then they make their way to the Birthing Center. Stevie laying down in the back the whole time while Lindsey sped. 

Marly met them at the entrance and she led them to the private room that they requested. At first, Stevie was skeptical of the whole thing, not wanting it to feel like a hospital and she was pleasantly surprised when she walked into the rooms and they were nothing like the hospital. The specific room that Stevie was in was about as big as their bedroom. The bed was a normal queen-sized bed with special covers and sheets but it wasn't like the itchy hospital blankets and sheets. There was one wall with medical materials and ports for oxygen or IVs, but they weren't allowed to administer that unless Stevie's or the baby's health was compromised. In the corner, there was a tub. There was a couch and a rocking chair and a few plastic hospital chairs scattered around the room. And on one wall there was the baby scale and a cupboard and shelving unit where the medical equipment necessary was kept. And at the foot of the bed was the little crib. And there was a private bathroom not only to be used by Stevie but by the rest of the guests visiting. But the best part about the whole scenario was the center allowed fathers in the tub and the bed with the mother which is exactly what Stevie wanted.