19

October 1, 1987

Lindsey was giddy, one more day and he'd be on Paternity Leave until the first week of November. That meant that his little baby was going to be here soon. Stevie was 37 weeks and the doctor said that though Stevie is still preterm if the baby were to come now she'd be fine. They hadn't officially moved into their new house yet, but it is move-in ready to an extent. Stevie had entered a nesting phase at the end of August and bought all new furniture for their new house, she'd be selling her furniture with the house hoping that it would boost price point. 

As Lindsey entered the house, Ginny was waiting at the door and slightly digging. 

"What's the matter, Ginny?" Lindsey asks.

She yaps but then bolts up the stairs and Lindsey follows her. Ginny leads him to the cracked bedroom door and he could hear soft pained moans. 

"Steph?" Lindsey asks.

"She can't come...it's too early." Stevie cries.

"Is she coming?" Lindsey asks.

"I think so. It feels so much worse than the Braxton hicks." Stevie says shaking her head.

"Hey, she's ready to come and meet us and that's okay. She's a little early but she's going to be healthy. The doctor said she could come anytime." Lindsey crawls in bed with her and she latches onto him. 

"I haven't called her yet." Stevie shakes her head. 

Stevie was healthy enough to the point where her doctor is allowing her a home birth. Stevie wanted one because it was private and the paparazzi wouldn't have any access to her. It was also comfortable and there wasn't the temptation of drugs. Especially with Stevie's history, she wanted to avoid it. So with the help of Dr. Hough Stevie found an amazing midwife. 

"Do you want me to call her?" Lindsey asks.

"No, I just want you to hold me right now." Stevie breathes out and tenses in his arm. 

"Mmmmm." She groans into his neck. 

"You're alright Angel." Lindsey rubs her back as she nods. 

***

It was around ten at night when Stevie gave in and had Lindsey call Marly, the midwife. The doorbell rang and Lindsey quickly hopped out of the tub dried himself off and in his swim trunks, he traipsed down the stairs. 

"Hey, how's mom?" Marly asks when Lindsey opens the door for her. 

"She's...surprisingly holding up well. She's moaning and groaning but she hasn't cried out yet but they're close. They're about five minutes apart. Her water broke right before we called you and right now she's in the tub. I was in there with her." Lindsey explains. 

"I can see that and you're going to stay in there with her," Marly instructs as Lindsey leads her up the stairs. 

Stevie's moaning and moving her hips back and forth when they get back in the bathroom, she simply holds her hand up and neither her husband or her midwife move. 

"Whooooo.....mmmm." She groans and eventually comes to a stop and falls back into the tub. 

"Lindsey." She says and he nods going to get back in the tub with her. 

"Okay so Stevie, the first thing I'm going to do is wash my hands and put on some gloves and then I'm going to check your dilation," Marly explains. 

Stevie just nods and wraps herself mostly around Lindsey. She's naked in the tub because she had expressed that her clothes felt restrictive. Stevie jolted when Marly's warm hand touched her lower back but then Stevie can feel it lower and she braces herself against Lindsey. She was required to have vaginal exams at her last few appointments and they aren't the most comfortable thing. 

"I'm so sorry," Marly says as Stevie lets out a hiss. 

"Ow, AGHH!" 

"Stevie, Stevie...how long have you been in labor?" She questions. 

"Oh, I don't know...I started feeling...ow, cramps around...agh Christ,  ten this morning but pains didn't start feeling bad until around three. Lindsey got home around four-thirty....FUCK... and they've been intense sense." Stevie explains Marly's hand still in her checking her dilation. 

"Well honey, you're at nine centimeters. She's going to be here soon." Marly explains. 

***

It was around two-thirty when Stevie really started to vocalize. "GODDD! YOU SAID SOON, AGHHH." Stevie spits. 

Lindsey at this point had exited the tub and was kneeling on a pillow outside of the tub holding her hands as she looms over the edge of the tub and sways her hips. 

"I'll check you again." Marly sighs scrubbing her hands and going to put on her gloves. 

"Wait...Lindsey, get in the tub please." Stevie demands shifting.

Lindsey nods and gets in the tub. She turns so her back is pressed to his front and she spreads her legs. When Marly inserts her fingers she groans and rolls her head against Lindsey's shoulder. 

"Stevie, you're ready." Marly smiles. 

"What?" She asks.

"I didn't even make it to your cervix, your baby's head is right there. On your next contraction, I want you to give a big push." Marly nods 

"OH FUCCKKKK!" She screams as she bares down and squeezes Lindsey's hand tightly. 

"That's it, big big pushes." Marly coaches.

"OOOOOOHHHHHH Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow," Stevie screams. 

After a few more pushes Marly smiles. 

"Stevie, reach between your legs." Marly smiles 

Stevie lets go of Lindsey's hand and does exactly that and she lets out a gasp.

"I can feel her Lindsey, she's got hair." Stevie sobs. 

"Alright, Stevie, pant. if you keep pushing you're going to tear and you don't want to do that so just pant and do what you're doing," Marly says. 

Once the head is out, Marly's hands join Stevie's between her legs and she helps maneuver. "One more push and she's going to be here." Marly smiles. 

Stevie takes a deep breath and then gives it her all and she catches her baby as it leaves her body and brings it up to her chest. 

"Oh hi....hello my love." Stevie sobs as Eva starts crying once her soft baby skin leaves the warm water. 

Stevie winces briefly as Marly stabs her thigh with the oxytocin injection-to minimize bleeding-but quickly her attention is drawn back to the crying creature in her arms. 

"Stevie, are you breastfeeding?" Marly questions. 

"No, no I'm not." Stevie shakes her head. 

"Alright, well dad's going to cut the cord and then we're going to remove your placenta. I'm going to press on your stomach and tug on the umbilical cord, it's going to be slightly uncomfortable talk to your baby and love on her, and when I need you to you're going to have to push again okay." Marly instructs. 

"Alright." Stevie sighs as Lindsey brings his hand up to Eva's cheek and kisses Stevie's head.

"She's here Angel, you did it. I am so proud of you Angel." Lindsey coos. 

"Thanks. Look at her Lindsey." Stevie sighs. Upon hearing her mother's voice Eva opens her eyes and two bright Buckingham blue eyes stare at her. 

"Hi, Eva Catherine. So you're the one that has been keeping me up at night." Stevie coos as the baby looks to her and makes a slight gummy grin. 

"Look at you with your big blue eyes and little blonde curls. Oh, my little baby bear." Stevie kisses her daughter's little head. 

"Stevie give her to Lindsey, and push," Marly instructs. Stevie pouts, not wanting to let her go, but does as she's told and Lindsey gets out of the tub and takes the little creature from her mother and goes into their bedroom wrapping the baby in a towel to dry her off.