24

January 1988

Stevie didn't want to go back to work but she knew that she had too. She was releasing a greatest hits album because she's figured what do you do when you've been in the music business for a decade. During her pregnancy, she remastered several songs and recorded one more that Jon Bon Jovi wrote for her-Sometimes it's a Bitch-and she had to go promote it. So here she was at a Saturday morning show. 

"Stevie this is an amazing outfit." The lady interviewing her-she didn't catch her name states.

"Well this is an outfit of...ugh...the boots are ten years old, the skirt is ten years old, the cape is ten years old, the white top is probably j-just basking on a year um, the necklace is brand new from Christmas from my husband some of the rings are very old, my wedding ring is three years old, the gloves are new the hair is old...um I tend to mix everything, I tend to not buy anything I don't intend on keeping forever, what ends up not fitting me anymore is in a temperature-controlled trunk in my closet for my daughter to play dress up in when she's...a little bit older and bigger." Stevie laughs. 

"You mention your daughter, I must say the tabloids have been going nuts on if you had given birth yet or not." 

"She's three months old, her birthday is October 2nd. Which is one day before my husband's birthday and I feel so bad about this still, I forgot his birthday entirely. But he said it wasn't a big deal because I was preoccupied with having a baby." Stevie explains

"You remind me of Mae West at the moment does that bother you?" 

"There probably is a lot of Mae West in me that swing of her head and the way that she-you know talks and she was very-she loved her figure and the way she wore her clothes. And see after having a baby my figure has changed slightly but at the same time after fourteen years of wearing these clothes um, I'm used to them so for me it's much easier for me to get very very dressed up than it is for me to dress down." 

"That's so extraordinary, it's different for most people...anyway let's talk about when you put out that first album all that time ago. Did you think it would be this extraordinary success?" 

"No...I never let myself expect to make it." 

"But it was a big success." 

"It was a big success and I was wrong, but at the same time I could've been right and had I been right then I don't know what I would've done." 

"Where do you get your inspiration from?" 

"My life and everyone around me. I mean if you were to tell me a story about something or someone that you love, I would probably go right home and write it down-rhyme it and put it to music." 

"That's how you do it. Just sparks of inspiration." 

"Just sparks of inspiration." 

"You've been in the music industry since 1973-at least that's when your first album came out. What's kept you doing this for so long?" 

"Love. If someone said you can't do this anymore because of your health because you have a child, because of something else to me it would be like well I'd have to find another way to do it. No one can ever say to me you can't write more songs because there would be no reason for me to be left on this planet...except for maybe Eva. It would absolutely break my heart." Stevie shrugs honestly 

"Eva?" 

"Eva Catherine...Life Pure, or Pure Life depending on how you want to place it." 

"If Eva said mom I want to go into music what would you do?"