27

Stevie and Lindsey tried for five years to have another baby and every time Stevie thought she was pregnant she'd take a test and it would come up negative so they eventually just gave up. She was 46 and her chances of getting pregnant were very slim. 

But here she was at three in the morning, her hair in her little cornrow things and she was leaning up against the sink staring at herself in the mirror. She hated the fact that she had wanted something so badly and wasn't able to get it. Like a kid at Christmas who wanted that special toy but neither Santa nor Mom and Dad got it for them. Lindsey appeared in the doorway and they made eye contact through the mirror.

"I can't fucking believe that you made me do this. If this test is negative then I will never speak to you again." Stevie hisses.

"It's been ten minutes." He sighs. 

"I can't look at it." Stevie shakes her head. 

"Do you want me to look at it?" Lindsey asks. 

She just nods and holds out her right arm and he takes the plastic stick into his hands. He looks at it for a few minutes and then with a smile he says. "So what theme do you want?" 

"What?" She asks standing up straighter and turning towards him.

"Theoretically, if we were to have another baby, what theme for the nursery. Eva had teddy bears what would the new baby have?" He asks.

"Woodland Creatures, little fox and raccoons," 

"Boy or a Girl?" Lindsey inquires. 

"I'd be happy with either honestly, but a little boy." 

"What would his name be?" 

"If you liked it...Ethan Christopher because we have Eva Catherine and it flows and it sounds beautiful Ethan means Strong and Enduring. Christopher means bearer of Christ-I know we aren't religious or anything but it's my brother's name." Stevie bites her lip. 

"Well, Ethan Buckingham does have a very nice ring to it." Lindsey smiles.

"You're shitting me." She says quickly catching on to what he was doing. 

"I am not. It's positive." He smirks handing her the test. 

"Oh my god...Lindsey w-we're going to have another baby." Stevie starts crying and she throws her arms around him.

"Yeah, we are." Lindsey nods as she rechecks the test to make sure that it is actually two pink lines.  

"How did you?" She asks.

"When Christine was pregnant, she'd come into my classroom on lunch and complain about how dizzy she was. How for most of her pregnancy with Crystal she just felt run down and yucky. That's exactly how you've been feeling. And because I'm an observant husband-i've noticed that A, your breasts have gotten huge. B, when you were on David Letterman the camera filmed you at a really bad angle and if you moved a certain way, I swear I saw a small little bump under an incredibly tight dress." Lindsey smirks his hands going to her stomach and she looks down her hands smoothing out her nightgown and she sees it herself. A very tiny bump. Tiny enough that it could just pass off as Stevie having had a big lunch. 

"After all these years with nothing and now. I just. I'm so happy." Stevie cries into her husband's chest. 

"I know Angel, me too. How do you want to celebrate?" Lindsey asks. 

"Let's go pick out a nursery." Stevie giddly bolts out of the bathroom. Lindsey laughs but follows her anyway. 

The pair settle on the room just to the right of theirs. Right across from Eva's room. Stevie wants to keep her kids close to her and that's the best option. 

***

The next morning, Lindsey had woken up regretfully at eight in the morning, having really only gotten a few short hours of sleep and did what he had to do with Eva and he watched her as she did what she's done since the beginning of summer. At nine-thirty she crawls into bed with her mother and surprising both Lindsey and Eva, Stevie gathered her in her arms and started kissing her little face.

"Mommy you aren't supposed to be awake." Eva laughs. 

"Well, mommy doesn't want to be but she has a lot to do today so she needed to be. I've been up since Daddy got up but I wanted to snuggle with you so I knew I had to wait until you crawled in with me." Stevie explains as Lindsey also crawls in his bed with the two-three most important people in his life. 

"So what do you have to do?" Lindsey asks.

"Well...I called Lindsey, they had a cancellation at 12:30 so I snapped it up." Stevie explains. 

"Do you want us to come with you?" Lindsey asks.

"I do. I'm going to have to get blood drawn and I want my little bear there to comfort me." Stevie kisses Eva's cheek. 

"Alright well...Eva, mommy and I have something we want to tell you." Lindsey stars. 

"What?" Eva questions nuzzling against her mother's chest. 

"Well...in a few short months, you're going to have a baby brother or sister," Stevie explains grabbing the brush on her nightstand and starting to work it through Eva's blonde wavy curls.  

"Do I have to." Eva pouts. 

"Yes-you have to. It's already on the way." Stevie chuckles giving her daughter's curl a gentle yank before parting her hair down the middle. 

Eva looks at her mother as Stevie crawls out of bed and goes over to her vanity where she pulls out two smaller hair ties. Not the really tiny elastic ones that are currently in Stevie's hair but ones that work perfectly for Eva's thin strands-just like her father's.

"Well where is it and why do we have to wait for months?" Eva questions. 

"It's in my belly growing until they're big enough to come out and play." Stevie smiles. 

"Right there." Eva pokes her mother's stomach. 

"Ouch. Yes right there, you were in there too." Stevie states grabbing her daughter's hand to stop the assault on her stomach. 

"How does it get out...how did I get out?" Eva asks looking at her father. 

"Magically," Lindsey answers as Stevie kneels on the bed and pulls Eva's hair into pigtails.

"Oh okay." She shrugs. 

"Alright, go brush your teeth mommy will go pick out an outfit for you...and daddy, go take a shower." Stevie points.