28

Taking Eva to the doctor was a trip. She hates the doctor with a passion and when Eva saw that the sign said Medical Center she freaked out. Stevie explained it to her that it was mommy going to the doctor and that seemed to calm her down. When Stevie got her blood drawn, Eva straddled her mother's lap and let Stevie hug her tightly with her free arm. She didn't really need the comfort she had gotten her blood drawn before but it was just nice getting to hold her daughter. With Eva being bigger now those moments are few and far between. 

Dr. Hough and Stevie both got a kick out of the physical exam though. Dr. Hough had closed the curtain to separate Lindsey and Eva from seeing what was going on with Stevie. Dr. Hough did everything like normal-examined Stevie's breasts and her abdomen and when it got to the abdominal part, Dr. Hough just nodded because she could feel the Fetus within Stevie's stomach. Sure the pressure was uncomfortable but it gave her a slight peace of mind. It was during the pelvic exam though that really got them. The metal was clanking and it prompted the phrase. 'Momma, is she hurting you?' Stevie simply laughed and called 'No bear, she's not hurting me.' 

When Stevie was laying on the bed properly the gown tucked up under her breasts and a sheet covering her lower half, Dr. Hough opened the curtain and let the family rejoin each other. 

"Alright, so I don't even need to look at the tests to give you congratulations and say that you're measuring at roughly fifteen weeks. Which means that you got pregnant probably around the end of May. What's odd though is that you talk of weight gain and dizziness as your only symptoms. There's nothing wrong with that as we all know that with Eva you didn't have any early symptoms either. So we will go over your labs but I think we'll be safe to just go ahead and do an ultrasound." Dr. Hough explains. 

"Sounds fine." Stevie nods. 

"Eva, do you want to help me?" Dr. Hough asks. 

Eva nods and Stevie scootches over on the bed slightly. Lindsey lifts Eva up and places her on the open spot closest to Stevie's stomach and stands behind her to make sure she doesn't fall as the bed wasn't horribly big. Dr. Hough squirts the gel on Stevie's stomach and then places the transducer on it. She takes Eva's hand and encloses that around the "probe" and guides her hand. 

"Wow, Momma look," Eva exclaims jumping loudly as Stevie takes Lindsey's hand. 

"I see it Bear." Stevie smiles. 

Dr. Hough flicks the switch and the heartbeat echos throughout the room and Stevie has to bring her free hand up to wipe a tear from her eyes. 

"Alright Eva, this is a picture of your baby brother." Dr. Hough smiles. 

"Awe, does it have to be a baby brother?" Eva pouts as Lindsey laughs and Stevie just opens her mouth wide. 

"Baby brother's aren't that bad. I'm Uncle Jeff's baby brother. And when Uncle Greg was still alive I was his baby brother." Lindsey smiles. 

Greg passed abruptly in 1990. It was a heart attack, much like the one that took Lindsey's father back in the mid-70s. Greg left Corrine with a little girl and though it was heartbreaking seeing an eight-month pregnant Corrine sobbing over the fact she lost her husband, Stevie stepped in and she spent the last month of Corrine's pregnancy out in San Francisco with her. Corrine named her Emily Stephanie. Emily having been the name Greg picked out before he died. 

"Stevie you look shocked." The doctor laughs. 

"Well, it's...I didn't think I was pregnant and Lindsey had me take a test last night. We had been wanting another baby for a while and it just wasn't happening. So when I took the test I couldn't look at it. So he did and Lindsey quizzed me. He said if we were to hypothetically have another child what would it be, the nursery theme, the name, so on and so forth. I said I would be happy with either but a boy and you just confirmed we were having a boy." Stevie states.