Prologue

August 15, 1985

Rock a Little had just been put out, and she was standing in the bathroom loomed up against the sink. She really wanted a bump of cocaine but she had been sober for three months and she was determined not to relapse. She didn't have any on her anyway, but she knew she could very well find someone at the wedding who did. 

She didn't even want to get married, she wasn't the marrying type she was always traveling and she didn't want to have to tell someone where she was. She enjoyed just getting up and going wherever and whenever she pleased, but here she was getting married to a man that she's only met once over dinner to discuss what was happening. 

Her manager Jeff Buckingham had told her that she needed to straighten up after she had slept with half of the Eagles and she was caught with Joe Walsh when he trashed a hotel room and she had to pay half of the settlement as well because she was there. She thought getting clean from the cocaine would help but that wasn't enough for Jeff especially because after the hotel scandal she hadn't been getting the best press. So as a result, Jeff is not making her marry his baby brother Lindsey, but he's heavily advising it. She's her own person she could walk out right now if she wanted to but she knew better. If she were to walk out she'd be done he'd drop her and she'd be left the record company management team who she knew was going to screw her over and she couldn't live with that. It was a survival move on her part. 

She stood up straightened the black lace overlay on her simple plain white wedding dress and left the bathroom to make probably the biggest mistake of her life.