33.

"You're back from Paris so soon. I thought you and Jay were staying for a couple of days?" Tina asked through the FaceTime call.

Beyoncé walked through her house with only Jay's shirt on. She munched on a few crackers while walking into the kitchen to check on her Ramen Noodles.

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but his mother passed so we decided to fly back here so he can settle everything."

She steered the noodles with one hand and held her phone in the other. She could hear her mother gasp at the news she just told her.

"Oh? I thought he didn't know his mom?"

Beyoncé sighed, "Long story short, she came back to the States to reconnect with him. She told him that she had cancer, and here we are."

"How is he holding up?"

She shrugged her shoulders, "Honestly, he seems pretty fine but who knows with Jay."

"Hmm," Tina said, "Maybe he'll express himself to you once everything blows over."

Beyoncé raised her eyebrow and looked at her mother through the camera, "Hmph, we'll see."

"You telling me you about to marry this man and y'all can't communicate how y'all feeling?"

Since it didn't take long to make noodles, she turned the stove off and drained the little bit of water.

She usually would have cooked a much better meal or order take out, but she was hungry now and both of those options would've taken forever.

"Mother, I can't help if Jay don't want to express himself to me. I can try and try, but he's not going to do anything until he's ready. I just learned to be patient with him."

"Tuh. I'll knock Mathew's head off."

Beyoncé chuckled and grabbed a bowl, "You can't control that mama. Matter of fact, let me stop discussing this with you."

Beyoncé set her phone down on the counter as she mixed different spices into her noodles. She stirred it all together and took the first bite even though it was extremely hot.

"It's sad that she died on your birthday. Poor man may break up with you just because of that. Your birthday will always remind him of her."

Letting out a chuckle, Beyoncé rolled her eyes at her mother and continued eating her food.

"Hmph," she said, blowing her breath on the forkful of noodles to cool it down, "Technically, she died September 5th. It was already the next morning over here when we were in France. But she definitely could've waited a little longer."

"Beyoncé that is rude."

"Girl, you said it first."

The line got quiet and Beyoncé put her mother on pause to check her other notifications. She finally finished her noodles and put the bowl in the sink to wash later.

She was heading into the living room when the front door opened and Jay walked in with a folder and his phone in his hand.

Beyoncé gave him a soft smile and stopped in her tracks to meet him.

He walked towards her and placed a kiss on her lips, "What you been eating?" He asked.

"Noodles. Where you been all morning?"

He set the folder down on the coffee table with his phone, "Been trying to get shit rearranged for my mother's funeral."

"Hi son, sorry for your loss!" Tina yelled through the phone so he could hear her. Beyoncé forgot she was even on the phone. She took her mother off pause and handed her phone to Jay so they could talk.