58

Alana's POV

I knew something was changing. I felt it. After Shawn started going back to the studio, it's like he hasn't had time for us, our relationship, our family. I'm glad that he's getting back into the thing he loves to do but I feel like I'm being neglected because of it.

After getting up from the closet floor, I tossed the hoodie into the laundry bin and brought Jasmine from our bed to the crib in her room. I freshened up in the bathroom to get ready for bed.

I went under the blankets and put on an episode of the Office while I waited for Shawn to get home. Time seemed to tick by quickly, later and later, and he still hasn't gone home. There were multiple instances where I reached for my phone to call him but constrained myself.

Finally, at two o'clock in the morning, I heard the front door open and Shawn's heavy steps go up the stairs. He opened the bedroom door, a surprised but tired look on his face.

"You're still awake?"

"Of course. I can't go to sleep without me knowing you aren't home"

"Oh" He nodded then went to the bathroom.

He came back a few minutes later with just some sweatpants on and laid next to me on the bed, his back turned towards me.

"How was work today?" I said aloud.

No answer. "Shawn?"

I assumed he was asleep so I just sighed and closed my eyes.

The baby monitor woke me up to the sounds of Jasmine crying in her crib. I quickly ran to the nursery and picked her up. I bounced her in soft motions until she was calm. "Hi baby!" I said in a soft voice.

"Da da!"

I gasped. "What did you say?"

"Da daa!"

"Aww. Can you say 'mama'?" I cooed at her.

"Da daaaa" She exclaimed.

I furrowed my brows. "Are you even supposed to be saying your first words yet? I think it's a little early"

I brought Jasmine with me to Shawn and I's bedroom. "Honey. You will not believe what Sweets just said" I opened the door and my heart sunk. He wasn't there.

"Shawn!" I yelled.

Silence.

I sighed. He probably left earlier for the studio. I looked at Jasmine. "Do you want to go see grandma?"

"Da da!"

I chuckled and shook my head. "You wanna go see daddy?"

"Da daa!" She clapped her hands.

I pulled out my phone and called him. It rung at least ten times but he didn't answer. "I guess we can surprise him, eh?"

I got Jasmine and I ready and by noon, we got in the car to go to the studio to bring him lunch. I put her in one of those baby carriers that attached to your stomach and grabbed the food from the front seat.

I walked into the building and entered the room where Shawn recorded his songs. He was sitting by himself on the couch, a pen in his hand, writing away.

Jasmine's babbling broke the silence. "Daaaa daaa"

Shawn quickly turned around. "Was that her?"

"Hi to you too" I walked over to the couch and set down the food on the coffee table. I took out Jasmine from the carrier and handed her to Shawn.