4

Alana's POV

After finishing our ramen, Shawn and I went back to the car and headed to one of the nearest coffee shops. It was silent in the car for the whole way to the coffee shop. Once I turned off the engine, Shawn spoke up, "Did I do something wrong?"

I turned my body in my seat, looking at him. "What are you talking about?"

"Ever since we had that moment at the restaurant , you've been quiet."

"I- um."

Shawn's face gave a look of worry. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No." I quickly say. "No. I don't. I guess that's the thing. I've never had a boyfriend. I guess I just. Don't want to be disappointed. And. We literally only just met yesterday."

He stared at me for a second. "I don't usually do things like this but. When you forgot your phone, I realized that you were the one I made eye contact with during Ruin and there was some part inside me that was hoping that fate would bring you into the arena. And it did"

A slow smirk spread on my face, causing Shawn to give me a look of confusion. "What?' He asked.

"You don't do this often, huh? Tell me about the 'Where Were You in the Morning' girl."

"You just had to bring that up, didn't you?"

"Hey. I'm just asking a friendly question." I smiled at him.

"Okay. I never told anyone the real story of this so. Consider yourself to be lucky." He cleared his throat. "Do you want to get the coffee first? Before we start? It's kind of a long story."

"I bet you it's not. You're just trying to stall. I have all day."

"Ugh. Fine. Let's see here. Our story starts in Toronto, Canada. I went out to a club with my friends and there was this girl that kept looking at me that whole night. I ended up going up to her and we talked for like ten minutes. At this point, I had like, five drinks, she probably did too. We took things to my condo, and I'm sure you can guess what happened next. I woke up the next morning and she was gone. No note, no nothing."

"See that wasn't so hard. Was it?"

"I guess not." He unbuckled his seat belt, getting out of the car, and I  following along.

We grabbed the coffee and I drove us to our next location, a beautiful park that held a small garden of flowers and ponds.

Getting out of the car with our coffee cups in hand, Shawn and I walked to the little gazebo in the middle of the garden and sat down on the bench.

Taking a sip of his coffee while looking at the space around us, Shawn spoke up. "So. Any reason to why we're here? Any special story to go along with this place?"

I looked up at him and replied, "Well. This was where my prom date dumped me for another girl."

"Wait." He looked down at me, concern plastered on his face. "Are you serious?"

"No. It's a joke. I literally just saw it while driving and decided to stop here because I didn't know where else to go."

"Ohhh. Thank goodness. I was about to feel incredibly bad for you." He took another sip. "And I don't know why anyone would ever dump someone as gorgeous as you" He mumbled the last part, quietly enough to where I didn't hear what he said.

"I'm sorry. What was that?"

"Oh. It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

We spent the next half hour making small talk and after seeing that it was 2 o'clock, Shawn and I decided to depart. I drove back to the hotel to drop him off. Turning off the engine of the car, we both got out and I walked him to the lobby.

"Thank you so much for today." He started. "I had a great time."

Chuckling, I replied, "I feel like I should be the one saying thank you. Today was definitely one to remember."

We stared into each others eyes for a couple seconds until I broke the silence and said "So I guess this is goodbye?"

"I guess it is."

I nodded my head and was cut off guard when Shawn pulled me in for a hug. I giggled and after the hug, turned around and headed for the parking lot.

Before I was able to exit the lobby, Shawn ran up and stopped me. "Alana." He rested his hands on my shoulders and I watched as they slid down my arms to my hands.

"Shawn." I replied, squeezing his hands.

"Is there any chance you live by Oakland?"

"Mmm. Kinda? I live in the middle of here and there. So, however long it took me to get here is how long it takes me to get to Oakland."

"If you aren't tired of me yet, would you wanna come watch me perform again tomorrow?"

Smiling, I said, "I would be honored to watch you."

"Cool. That's great! Um. I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled, giving me a peck on the cheek and walking away.

Walking back to my car, I sat down and put my head down on the wheel, causing the horn to honk and me to jump up.

Is this really my life? How did I even get here? Shawn Mendes. I am speechless. Out of all the people in the world. All of the girls he meets on a daily basis are literally stunning. I on the other hand, am an actual potato. There's no way in this huge universe that Shawn Mendes. Shawn. Peter. Raul. Mendes. Just spent the day with me. The potato. Oh my. Goodness. What if he has a girlfriend? I didn't even ask him. Who a-

"Hey! What's taking you so long?!" I looked behind and saw that there was a car waiting for the parking spot I was in so, I pulled out and went home.