52

Alana's POV

My large dark purple suitcase was set on top of the bed in Shawn and I's bedroom. Since I was five months into my pregnancy already, traveling around with Shawn is risky so I'm going to be staying with my mom in California.

I packed the last dress and zipped up the suitcase. Shawn opened the bathroom door and walked out of the bedroom without acknowledging me. Curious, I followed him downstairs and into the kitchen where he was pouring himself a cup of coffee. His back was faced to me so I approached him and hugged his back and wrapped my arms around his torso. He stiffened. I pulled away and placed my hands on his back, rubbing in circular motions to soothe him.

"What's going on bub?" I asked, concerned. He turned around and his eyes were red and puffy. "Have you been crying?" I brought my hands to his cheeks and tears started to fall from his eyes. He sniffled, wrapped his arms under mine, and started sobbing. I hugged him and ran my fingers through his hair, our feet shuffling against the wood floor as I guided him to the couch.

I let him cry into my shoulder. He sniffled and pulled away. "I got some snot on your shoulder" He tried wiping it off with a tissue he got from the coffee table. He sat in front of me and blew his nose.

"Can you tell me what's wrong now?"

"I'm just sad that I'm going to be away for so long"

"Love bug. You're going to see me next month for Christmas. It'll be alright"

He shook his head.

"What do you mean, no?"

"Andrew called. Said that we're not going to be able to get Christmas off because we need to go straight to Mexico City after Asia. I honestly stopped listening after he said 'I'm sorry we won't be able to come home in time'"

My heart felt like it was dropping to my chest. "So the next time you'll see me is?"

"The week before the baby's due date"

I frowned. "You won't get to see me really blow up"

"I know honey. We'll FaceTime every day though. I can't not do my nightly rituals with my little girl" He placed both of his hands on top of my fabric-covered belly and leaned down to kiss it. "I actually got you something. Stay here" I watched as Shawn jumped up and ran to the basement. He came back less than a minute later with a pink gift bag in hand.

"Here" He handed me the bag. "Open it"

I took out the tissue paper and the box that was inside. "Headphones?"

"I wanted to make sure that my nightly good night songs are as real as possible. I'm going to record them and then all you have to do is put the headphones on your stomach so she can hear"

My heart cried at his words. I looked at him with sorrowful eyes. "We're gonna miss you a lot"

"I'm going to miss you two more"

———————————

"Auntie Alana?!?" Layla looked at me with the most flabbergasted look.

"Hi sweetheart" I smiled.

I leaned down to give her a hug and she looked at me with the same odd look.

"Did you finally give in and eat the whole buffet?" Layla and I had this ongoing joke that one day I was going to be hungry enough to eat everything at a buffet.

"No" I raised my eyebrows at Elena. "You haven't told her?"

"I wanted you to be the one to tell her"