56

Alana's POV

Crying sounds from the baby monitor next to Shawn's nightstand woke me up and I patted the bed next to me. "Babe, can you get the baby?" I mumbled. I felt around some more but he wasn't there. I sat up. "Love bug?"

The crying in the baby monitor was soon replaced by Shawn's voice. "Hush little baby don't say a word, daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird" He began humming the tune. "I'm sorry. I don't know the words. If that diamond ring doesn't shine, mommy's gonna age just like fine wine" He hummed some more before it eventually stopped and Shawn walked through the bedroom door.

He plopped himself underneath the blankets next to me. "I applaud you for trying to sing her lullabies even though you don't know the lyrics" I smiled.

"I'm trying" He pouted. "They're just so specific and difficult. Like who would buy their baby a mockingbird?!"

I chuckled. "Crazy people who make nursery rhymes" I looked over at the clock on Shawn's nightstand. 2:30 am. "Happy Valentine's Day" I rested the side of my face on his chest.

"Happy Valentine's Day" He moved the hair that was on my neck away from it. "You wanna eat cake downstairs?"

"Sure" I sat up and got out of bed. Shawn grabbed my hand and led me down the stairs and into the kitchen. I sat on one of the counters stools while Shawn went to the fridge to get the cake, a slice of red velvet with buttercream frosting. He also grabbed two wine glasses and a bottle of red wine.

He sat next to me, popped open the wine, and poured some into the glasses. "Here. Cheers. To a full week of surviving parenthood"

I clinked my glass with his and took a sip. "Isn't it a bit early for wine?"

"It's five o'clock somewhere" He shrugged and picked up the fork to get some cake. He brought the fork to my mouth and I took a bite.

"Delicious" I nodded my head. I took the fork from Shawn and fed him some. I took another sip of my drink and watched him. Under the kitchen light, I could see red splotches forming on his cheeks. I stepped down from my seat and stood in front of him, cupping his cheeks in my hands.

He gripped my wrists and pulled my arms on top of his shoulders, our faces just inches apart. Shawn smiled. "Hi"

I gave him a toothy grin. "Hi"

He slowly began to go closer but froze when the doorbell ring. I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled away from him. "Where we expecting anyone?"

"At three in the morning? I don't think so" He went off the stool and walked to the front door. I trailed behind him. He crouched to look into the peephole and gasped, then opened the door.

"Mom!? Aaliyah!?" Shawn exclaimed. "What are you guys doing here?"

They walked in with their suitcases. "Your father went on a guys trip and Aaliyah and I decided to surprise you"

"At three in the morning?" Shawn asked.

"Our flight got delayed" Aaliyah stated and walked to me. "Hi Alana! You look great" She gave me a hug.

"Hi!" I exclaimed. I walked up to Karen and gave her a hug as well.

"Were you two already awake when we rang the doorbell?" Karen asked.

"Yeah. Our sleep schedule has been off" Shawn answered. "Here, let me take your stuff to the guest room upstairs"

"Where's my baby granddaughter?!" Karen clapped her hands excitedly.

I chuckled. "She's upstairs sleeping. Follow me" I led Karen and Aaliyah upstairs to the nursery.

"Aww" Aaliyah cooed. "She's gotten bigger"