18

The whole car drive was silent. Of course, I had told my address to Karan and he was driving me home. Apart from that, we didn't speak. The whole incident was replaying endlessly in my mind.

Why was Rajat jealous? Why did he care? Hell! Why did I care? I wasn't upset. I was furious! The reason - I don't know.

Karan stopped in front of my building. I smiled at him weakly and said, "Thanks Karan. Its really sweet of you."

Karan smiled and said, "Its okay. I hope you're doing good now."

"Yeah. Kinda." I shrugged.

I looked out the windiw but I could see Karan still looking at me, not buying my answer. I turned to face him. He studied my face and asked, "What's the deal between you and Rajat?"

I paused for a while. What should I say? For Rajat, we're friends with benefits and for me? He was my lover. I shook my head a little in order to shake away those thoughts. Karan looked puzzled. I said immediately, "Nothing! We're just friends. Its that... I don't know why he was acting weird tonight. It just got in my nerves!"

"Calm down there." Karan said after looking at my gnawing teeth. He looked a little surprised. Maybe people don't see me as a hot head. They just see me as a guy who is sweet and calm.

Which I'm really happy for.

Suddenly, Karan placed his hand on my wrist and rubbed his thumb on my skin. That touch was foreign to me. I was numb for a while. I couldn't decide between enjoying the moment or ruining the moment.

Before I could think any further, Karan said softly, "I know you may not be in the correct frame of mind right now. But still, there's something I need to ask you."

"Okay?" I asked, a little unsure of what he was going to ask me.

He grinned and looked at my eyes, as if trying to search for something in them. He then asked softly, "Will you go on a date with me?"

My eyes widened. I had never been asked out before. Neither had I ever been on a date. I took deep breaths. Looking at me, Karan's face looked concerned and his grip on my wrist tightened but it was comforting.

"Shit, Nikhil! Are you okay? Are you having a panic attack?"

I shook my head rapidly. Why on earth would I have a panic attack? That question made me panic a little. I took some more deep breaths and settled down. Why was I acting like a coward? I looked at his beautiful face and asked, "Why do you want to go out with me?"

I could see a little tint of red on his cheeks. He smiled nervously and replied, "I don't know. You're nice. I want to talk to you more and meet you more often. In order to know you more, I want to take you on a date."

That answer looked simple. But what about Rajat? He would be angry at me for going on a date. What he did at the restaurant was just a sneak peak of what he could do.

But hey! Who was he? Who the hell was he to control my life? I thought we moved on and we wanted to be 'friends'! Why was he the purpose of rejecting Karan's offer?

And thinking about Karan. He was well mannered. Good looks were an added advantage. He also respected my profession. He was caring and considerate. What else did I want? Maybe we could talk more and know each other better.

Karan looked at me with a lot of negative anticipation. He looked stressed out. So to ease out his anxiety, I placed my other hand on top of his and smiled reassuringly. He gradually started smiling and asked, "Is that a 'yes'?"

I nodded and replied, "Take it as a 'yes' before I change my mind."

We both giggled. After the giggling session, he asked, "Are you free this Sunday? I'll have a holiday, that's why."