12

"Here we are!"

I looked around from inside of Rajat's car. We were in the middle of an isolated road. It was completely dark as the day was coming to an end. But from the right corner, there was a little spark of light shining. When I turned to look at the source of the light, I saw that there was a children's park with all the slides, swings and see - saws. But there were some benches and many trees around as well.

My gaze set on Rajat, who was amused at my curiosity. He bit his lip to control his laughter. I rolled my eyes and asked impatiently, "Did you just get me to a park?"

"Actually... Yeah."

I slapped my forehead. Rajat started laughing and asked innocently, "What? Its just a park! Where did you think I was taking you?"

A place where you were assigned to kill me.

But he could kill me in the park too, right?

I asked in a hurry out of fear, "Why did you bring me here?"

Rajat stopped laughing and had a serious face. He replied in a firm voice, "Just follow me."

He got up from the car and so did I. I followed behind him like a coward. When we reached the entrance of the garden, the gates were locked.

I sighed in relief.

At last, I was going to live.

But to my surprise, Rajat went near the gate and examined it by trying to open them. The gates never opened though. So, he looked at me with a smirk and said, "Don't worry. I don't give up easily."

My face turned into confusion. Okay buddy, I never told that you were a loser. Just spare me!

We walked around the perimeters of the park.  They were fenced with sharp rods that reached up to my chest. And there was only one light in the park that was working, which was pretty dim.

We stopped around one of the fences of the park. Rajat had a mischievous look on his face. He said, "I'll go first and I'll help you come inside."

My eyes became wide. I blabbered out of fear, "Are you crazy? We could get caught! And I'm not going in that dark. We could talk here, you know. It's the same thing! Why do you want to go INSIDE?"

He shouted, "Because I have to go inside! Its not the same thing! I want to show you something really important."

There was urgency written all over his face. And I couldn't resist that tempting face. So I nodded in defeat and said, "Fine! Just make it quick and safe."

He looked pleased. He took 2 deep breaths and started climbing the fence. He couldn't climb at the first attempt. Then he looked at me with stiffness and said, "Yeah! Stand there like celebrity! Just help me out here, Nik!"

I came back to my senses and stood behind him. He then commanded, "On the count of 3. 1... 2... And 3!"

When he climbed, I pushed his back higher and higher. He suddenly lost his balance and fell down at the other side. I heard a huge 'thump'.

Shit.

"Rajat! Are you okay?"

I heard a painful squeak and he replied by trying to suppress the pain, "I'm fine. I'm fine. Wait."

He got up slowly and his hand was on his shoulder. His face looked in a lot of pain.

Looking at him, my face automatically turned that way and I yelled like a mother, "Do you know your age? You're 29! Not 9 anymore!"

"I'm 30, actually..."

I gave him a death glare. He noticed my expression and said, "But I get your point. Now its your turn."

"Whoa! I'm going to get seriously injured if I fall like that."

He chuckled then said, "You won't fall. I won't let you fall down."

Ugh. Why did he have to be so...  Cliche´?

I nodded and I started climbing the fence. To my surprise, I was able to climb the first side successfully. But my hands slipped from the fence and 'THUMP'... I fell on my butt. Like, really hard on my butt.

I spoke too soon.

I rested on the ground and shouted, "Fuck you Rajat! Just fuck you! You said you wouldn't let me fall!"

He bent down and looked worried, "Shit! I'm so sorry. It all happened in a millisecond. I didn't even register it."

Fine. I forgive you.

I got up and started stretching my back and my arms weirdly. I myself didn't know what kind of a weird stretching dance I was doing. Rajat looked at me with confusion and blinked a few times.

I asked in irritation, "What!"

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I wouldn't have done this if you would have helped me!"

He let out a sigh. I then ordered, "Shall we finish what we came here for?"

"Yeah. Thanks. I almost forgot!"

Yeah sure!

He and his sarcasm! He walked ahead and I followed him. We walked through the play area when Rajat asked without looking at me, "Have you ever been here?"

"No. I've passed through this park several times but I never came inside. Definitely not from the entrance."

Rajat laughed and said, "You're just like a cartoon!"

"Thanks man. I feel so good about myself right now!"

I could get sarcastic too.

After we walked throught the play area, a row of benches appeared in the dark. They seemed to be equally spaced between each other. Rajat sat on the third bench from the left. He sat in the middle.

I looked at him and asked, "Thanks for showing me a bench. I've never seen one before."

"You know what? Gauri was right. You are a party - pooper!"

"Wait a minute! Gauri spoke to you about that?"

"We occasionally talk about you. She tells me that you're a spoilt sport."

Thanks Gauri.

I looked at Rajat with frustration, but he simply patted the spot next to him with his palm. I walked to the bench and sat at the extreme end. It would make me feel giddy to sit right next to him.

I turned to face him and was about to snap, but Rajat looked sad. That's when, I had an expression of worry too.

He let out a sigh and rested his back comfortably on the bench, before getting lost in his own memories. His eyes were planted on the play area.

I didn't know how to start the conversation. Because all I knew for sure was that, this was pretty serious.