10

We were all seated at the dining table. Dad sat right across of me at the Dad end, Mom sat adjacent to him, while Nakul sat opposite Mom and Nisha sat next to him, that is, adjacent to me.

At the centre of the table was chicken curry. Mom served everyone and later served herself. After that, everyone started digging in their food.

Nisha looked at everybody in between her bites. Mom, Dad and Nakul were concentrating on their food.

So, Nisha broke the silence by looking at me with interest and asked, "What exactly do you do, Nikhil? I mean, I know you're a photographer, but I want to know what you photograph? Nature? Portraits?"

I looked at her to see whether she was just taunting. But she looked pretty genuine and curious. Nakul looked really offended. Mom had a small smile on her face and Dad looked disinterested as ever.

I replied slowly, a little unsure about myself, "Well, mostly portraits and people. To be specific, I work for a magazine and there are scheduled photoshoots for the magazine cover or sometimes, when we try to promote a particular brand, I photograph a few celebrities."

Nisha's eyes widened and she looked thrilled. She asked with curiosity and excitement, "You photograph celebrities as well? That's awesome!"

My mood lightened up a little. She sounded like a little girl when she said that. I didn't shy from showing a little smile on my face. I wondered what she was doing with Nakul?

I smiled more than before and informed, "And also, I think all of you should know this. I'm going to collaborate with Darshan Singh in a while."

All of them paused from their actions. Mom looked a little happy, Dad had a questionning look on his face, Nakul looked jealous because he glared daggers at me and Nisha looked thrilled.

She exclaimed, "No way! You mean, Darshan Singh, the actor?"

I nodded my head. She looked at my brother with joy and remarked, "Nakul, you didn't tell me that your brother was so talented. You know what Nikhil, I want you to send me your photographs. Even I want to see your work."

That flattered me a lot. I didn't know that Nisha was a good woman. I was judgemental. I nodded my head reassuringly and said, "I shall definitely share my work with yoh. In fact, you could go through my Instagram page. You'll find it there."

"That's good to know."

Nisha continued eating her dinner and so did I. Nakul chuckled a fake one and noted, "This is a very good start for MY birthday dinner."

I narrowed my eyes at him, while Nisha made an innocent face and said, "Nakul! I'm meeting Nikhil for the first time. You always say that he's busy. I just want to know him more."

Wait what? Busy? That meant she had asked about me and my dumbass brother lied.

I snapped, "Nakul! Was I busy?"

Nakul gave me a deadly look but I didn't fall back. He then replied sternly, "You were so busy in your childish profession, that you didn't even attend our wedding."

Nisha hissed, "Nakul!"

I laughed dryly and then protested, "I would have tried to adjust my busy schedule, if you would have had the decency to invite me to your wedding."

Nakul leaned back on his chair with anger. Nisha looked offended and she asked, "You didn't invite him? You said you handed him our wedding card. You lied to me?"

Nakul snapped, "Nisha, try to understand! We have had a few problems. We still do. That's why I didn't call him."

Nisha made an expression of disbelief and asked, "You just let your petty problems come in between our wedding? Why would you do that?"